VM cannot be started after upgrade to v5

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
jof2jc

Re: VM cannot be started after upgrade to v5

Post by jof2jc »

I think the issue is not about the RAM, I have allocated only 500MB out of total 3072MB. And the Ubuntu VM still failed to start (crashed).
Attached is latest log when starting the VM.

Possibly another issues? Do we need to make further configs in the storage section? I just leaved it the same-default (no changes made) after installed v5
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Yes, I already said that it wasn't the main issue, but it is an issue and should not be ignored.

I dealt with your main issue in a separate post.
jof2jc

Post by jof2jc »

mpack wrote:As to the main problem, AFAIK the only file that the VM needs to open (after the .vbox file), is the VDI file "C:\Users\Fanny Lie\VirtualBox VMs\srvubuntu\srvubuntu.vdi". Can you demonstrate that this file exists?
Of course, this file exists..
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

I'm having this exact same issue. Windows 7 Pro 32-bit host with Debian 8 64-bit guest (although it doesn't seem to matter what guest I use). I'm not using encryption. If I run VB as administrator, I don't get the errors, but when I don't run as administrator, I get the same errors. Also, if I remove the VB extension pack and don't run as administrator, I won't get the errors. If I go back to the previous version of VB (4.3.28) (and its associated extension pack), I don't get the errors, even with the extension pack installed.. this only seems to happen with VB >= 5.0.

So it seems the circumstances that trigger this issue are:
-Running on a 32-bit host.
-Using VB >= 5.0.
-Running as non-administrator.
-Using VirtualBox Extension Pack (for 5.0.0 to match the VB version).

The errors in my logs mirror what was already provided, but I can provide them to verify, if needed.

I'd love to get to the bottom of what's causing this...
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

jof2jc, I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but do you get the errors when you try uninstalling the VB Extension Pack, then loading your VM(s)?
Mike59

Post by Mike59 »

Hi! I Had the same problem here described upgrating to V.5.0.
I resolved running the VirtualBox as Administrator (I changed permissions in the link on my Desktop to run always VB as Admin) :D
I use Win7 Ultimate
Hoping to be useful.
.'.
:wink:
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

Right.. either running VB as administrator *OR* NOT using the VB Extension Pack seems to be a work-around for this.. but this is still a bug (as far as I can tell, it's not something specific to my configuration/hardware) that will hopefully get investigated. Running as administrator or NOT using the VB Extension Pack isn't a good work-around when using other software that uses VirtualBox, like Vagrant and/or Packer.
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

I don't see one, but is anyone aware of a ticket in the VirtualBox bug tracker for this issue?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not convinced that this discussion is ready to be escalated to BugTracker level. The OP posted several logs showing a memory shortage, so basically anything could happen there. Nobody else has posted a log at all, nor given other useful diagnostics such as an exact error message.

The error message was "file not found", and it's usually trivially easy to go check the files that the VM cares about, and verify that they still exist where they are supposed to be.

In the OPs case I would first suspect the ISO: look in Media manager to see if there's any red flags there.
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

This is what I'm seeing when trying to load ANY virtual machine with VB >= 5.0:
Here is the screenshot of the error I see immediately after trying to load ANY virtual machine.
Here is the screenshot of the error I see immediately after trying to load ANY virtual machine.
2015-08-12 13_12_52-VirtualBox_error_screenshot.png (47.92 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
The log is also attached here.

Is there any other useful information I could provide here?

Like I said before, this only seems to happen:
-When using a 32 bit host (in my case, I'm using Windows 7 Pro 32 bit).
-When using VirtualBox >= 5.0 (I've since uninstalled/re-installed the previous 4.3.28 VB/ExtPack versions and I don't have this issue in that version.).
-When running as non-administrator. (When running as VB as administrator, it appears to load the VM without this error showing up.)
-When using the VB Extension Pack (same version as VB). (I tested loading this same virtual machine - no settings changed - with the Extension Pack removed and it works.)
Attachments
VBox.log
Here is the VBox log when I got the error message provided in the screenshot.
(29.35 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

At the bottom of the log file is this:
00:00:03.926251 VD: VDInit finished
00:00:03.926325 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\Devices\Storage\DrvVD.cpp(2592) int __cdecl drvvdConstruct(struct PDMDRVINS *,struct CFGMNODE *,unsigned int); rc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
00:00:03.926396 VMSetError: Loading VD plugins failed
00:00:03.926443 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\Devices\Storage\DrvBlock.cpp(1077) int __cdecl drvblockConstruct(struct PDMDRVINS *,struct CFGMNODE *,unsigned int); rc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
00:00:03.926446 VMSetError: Failed to attach driver below us! File not found.
00:00:03.926551 VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\Devices\Storage\DevAHCI.cpp(8652) int __cdecl ahciR3Construct(struct PDMDEVINS *,int,struct CFGMNODE *); rc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
00:00:03.926554 VMSetError: AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0
00:00:03.926575 PDM: Failed to construct 'ahci'/0! VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (-102) - File not found.
00:00:03.930978 GIM: KVM: Resetting MSRs
00:00:03.934920 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_FAIL (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={Loading VD plugins failed (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
00:00:03.934988 Failed to attach driver below us! File not found. (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
00:00:03.934989 AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:00:03.935531 Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
00:00:03.979551 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND, rc=E_FAIL (0X80004005))
00:00:04.151385 GUI: UIMachineViewNormal::resendSizeHint: Restoring guest size-hint for screen 0 to 800x600
00:00:04.151458 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005) aIID={7303a66d-433b-25a4-f9a8-fcadf87e0c2a} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={The console is not powered up}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
The chain of errors appears to start on the second line (this is copied from my VBox.log file that I posted on the previous post):

VMSetError: F:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\Devices\Storage\DrvVD.cpp(2592) int __cdecl drvvdConstruct(struct PDMDRVINS *,struct CFGMNODE *,unsigned int); rc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

What file isn't found? I don't have an F:\ drive on my machine, but I assume whoever compiled the VirtualBox code compiled it from that path (so that path probably isn't related to the file that's not being found in the error). There is nothing in the Virtual Media Manager that has any errors/warnings. Everything listed there is something that exists on my machine.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ignore the path in the log file, that is a source code link (i.e. the line that generated the error). I would starting by looking for red flags in media manager, as I mentioned.

VD == Virtual Disk, and note that the source file generating the error is Storage related. So, look for problems accessing media. For example, an ISO previously mounted in the VM that might have been overwritten by a VBox upgrade.

In fact, looking closer, the error is "Failed to construct 'ahci'/0!". And, if we go back and check what AHCI/0 is, we find that it is associated with the file "C:\Users\rayzor\VirtualBox VMs\Debian8Test\Debian8Test.vdi".

First, confirm that the VDI exists in that folder, and that there is nothing unusual about it (not mounted in another VM, not encrypted, not soft linked etc). If all that comes to nothing, what happens if you move the drive to an IDE controller?
Rayzor

Post by Rayzor »

Right, that's the first thing suggested on every webpage/post I've come across related to this error (check in the Virtual Media manager for any files that no longer exist).. everything shown in my virtual media manager exists and appears to have no unusual permissions. I also tried just removing all virtual media from there (and my virtual machines) and just create a new one with VB 5.0, but I still ran into the same issue.

I then removed all of the virtual media again (and VMs) and tried having the virtual hard drive added under the IDE controller instead of the SATA controller (on a newly created VM instance) - no luck there, either. The error is basically the same (just a different controller that failed to load a file). (VBox.log is attached)

I noticed that a new version of VirtualBox just released, so I figured I'd try to upgrade and use it. That did the trick (with the same VM/virtual media files that previously failed loading). I no longer have this issue with VB 5.0.2.

If I completely uninstall the latest VB (5.0.2) (and even clear out my config files from ~/.VirtualBox) and reinstall VB 5.0.0, I'm right back to getting the error message that I was previously getting, so whatever was triggering this appears to have been fixed with the latest update.

Since this isn't happening with the (now) latest version of VB, I'm calling this case closed (as far as I'm concerned). Thanks for taking the time to look into this anyways.
Attachments
VBox.log
This is the log from when I tried adding the drive under the IDE controller instead of the SATA controller. Pretty much the same error.
(27.9 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Johny

Post by Johny »

Hi! Once after reboot I had the same problem:

Code: Select all

Failed to attach driver below us! File not found. (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
on any existing virtual machine.

Upgrade (reinstall) of VirtualBox resolves this problem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Old topic. Locking.