Discuss the 5.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MDCI
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Discuss the 5.0 release

Post by MDCI »

Install VirtualBox 5.0.0-101573 on Windows 7 SP1 x64

After start WinXP (Windows XP 32 bit machine) error:

Unable to load R3 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VBoxDD.DLL (VBoxDD): GetLastError=1790 (VERR_UNRESOLVED_ERROR).

Error code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Send VBoxStartup.log
Attachments
VBoxStartup.zip
(27.68 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
ASUS z97-A/Core-i5-4440/HDD 160Gb(SEAGATE)+2Tb(WESTERN DIGITAL)/ASUS GeForce GTS 450
msq

Post by msq »

Re: Unable to load R3 module

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14283
JVimes

Post by JVimes »

Is this a bug? In 4.x I was able to forward both TCP and UDP on the same port. The UI seems to disallow that now with the message:
The current port forwarding rules are not valid. Few rules have same host ports and conflicting IP addresses
I'm forwarding remote desktop from various host ports to guests, and it may use either TCP or UDP.
g2flyer

Post by g2flyer »

g2flyer wrote:While almost all my VMs nicely migrated from VB 4.3.30 to VB 5.0, i have one Win 7 (64-bit) VM which consistently BSODs after the upgrade. ...
Does anybe have suggestions on how to solve this upgraded problem which i unfortunately still face? thanks!
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

g2flyer wrote:
g2flyer wrote:While almost all my VMs nicely migrated from VB 4.3.30 to VB 5.0, i have one Win 7 (64-bit) VM which consistently BSODs after the upgrade. ...
Does anybe have suggestions on how to solve this upgraded problem which i unfortunately still face? thanks!
I couldn't help but notice the paths…
00:00:00.841778 File system of '/vmware/vms/Main/C4EB Win7 KVM/Virtual_Client_for_Linux_KVM_Windows_7-20121105.vdi' is ext4
Were you using VMWare and/or KVM with this guest? I don't know anything about KVM but were VMWare Tools installed in this guest at some point? That could explain the problem.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
g2flyer

Post by g2flyer »

loukingjr wrote:
g2flyer wrote:
I couldn't help but notice the paths…
00:00:00.841778 File system of '/vmware/vms/Main/C4EB Win7 KVM/Virtual_Client_for_Linux_KVM_Windows_7-20121105.vdi' is ext4
Were you using VMWare and/or KVM with this guest? I don't know anything about KVM but were VMWare Tools installed in this guest at some point? That woiuld explain the problem.
Long time ago it was indeed a KVM image which i converted to work with VirtualBox. But i didn't touch the system config for a long time and the problem happens only on VB5.0, not on VB4.3 ...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

g2flyer wrote:Long time ago it was indeed a KVM image which i converted to work with VirtualBox. But i didn't touch the system config for a long time and the problem happens only on VB5.0, not on VB4.3 ...
Well, VB 5.0 is a major update and has many changes. I don't know what is causing the guest to fail in 5.0 but it's certainly possible. Perhaps someone else knows.
Shane-

Post by Shane- »

Hi there lads,

I just can't go any further beyond launching the installation process. Il all goes fine then the rolling back ... ( picture 1 )
The last working version was VirtualBox-4.3.12-93733.

Host OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with all patches (July 2015)
VirtualBox: VirtualBox-5.0.0-101573
Security applications: none

Any help would be highly appreciated.

NB: Trying the portable VirtualBox throws the error message below ( picture 2 )
Attachments
Error1.png
Error1.png (20.64 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
Error2.png
Error2.png (28.27 KiB) Viewed 7252 times
mgreiner1

Post by mgreiner1 »

Hi,
I tried to install virtualbox 5.0 on an a bit outdated macpro1.1 without success. Version 4.3.30 runs without problems.
Anybody any advice?
mgreiner1
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

mgreiner1 wrote:Hi,
I tried to install virtualbox 5.0 on an a bit outdated macpro1.1 without success. Version 4.3.30 runs without problems.
Anybody any advice?
mgreiner1
Minimum information needed for assistance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@Shane, I'm afraid we don't support forks here, we only support the official version. The "VirtualBoxPortable" part of your path implies that this is not true in your case.
Shane-

Post by Shane- »

mpack wrote:@Shane, I'm afraid we don't support forks here, we only support the official version. The "VirtualBoxPortable" part of your path implies that this is not true in your case.
Fair enough mate but what about the first case where it's not even possible to install the official VirtualBox on my system ( Win 7 Pro x64 ) ?

Edit: I must have tried to run the installation process as administrator loads of times but it failed miserably. However, I've just managed to install VirtualBox 5 on my system as administrator. Go figure ....
msq

Post by msq »

@Shane:

Should be more details in Event Viewer >> Applications
Shane-

Post by Shane- »

msq wrote:@Shane:
Should be more details in Event Viewer >> Applications
Some errors shown indeed:

Code: Select all

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: 
 .............. /update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab with error: A required certificate is not within its 
validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
The certificate issue isn't new as I've had this using Chrome/Chromium as well. I knew I had to fix the time settings on my machine which I did but to no avail up till now. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I restarted my computer after synchronizing with an Internet time server this time. :?
g2flyer

Post by g2flyer »

loukingjr wrote:
g2flyer wrote:Long time ago it was indeed a KVM image which i converted to work with VirtualBox. But i didn't touch the system config for a long time and the problem happens only on VB5.0, not on VB4.3 ...
Well, VB 5.0 is a major update and has many changes. I don't know what is causing the guest to fail in 5.0 but it's certainly possible. Perhaps someone else knows.
Interestingly, i did copy now the whole VM to a Ubuntu 64-bit host with VB 5.0 and on that host it runs flawlessly. I wonder whether the problem is related to ticket #14019