Discuss the 5.0 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JayEm

Re: Discuss the 5.0 release

Post by JayEm »

Marko73 wrote:OK, more googling and it seems it was the hacked theme files (uxtheme.dll etc), that I was using to enable custom visual styles, that were causing the problem. Reverted to the standard windows system files and VBox 5 works now, more or less. However, whenever I start a virtual mchine, there's a pause of up to around 10 seconds with the "Starting virtual machine" progress bar stuck at 0% before anything seems to happen. This never occurred with previous versions!
This is the problem here after every new release, especially after installing the extension pack. After a host restart, this issue is gone every time.
k_zeon

Post by k_zeon »

hi. just thought i would updgrade to ver 5 and none of my VM's will start.
Host Running Windows 7 Pro 32Bit with 3gb Memory.
Client running Windows XP Pro SP3
Upgraded to VirtualBox-5.0.0-101573-Win.exe
Upgraded to Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.0.0-101573.vbox-extpack

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XP Virtulized.

Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

if req i do have image, but have to wait 1 day to post

However ver VirtualBox-4.3.28-100309-Win.exe works fine
Marko73
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Windows 7 x64

Post by Marko73 »

JayEm wrote:
Marko73 wrote:OK, more googling and it seems it was the hacked theme files (uxtheme.dll etc), that I was using to enable custom visual styles, that were causing the problem. Reverted to the standard windows system files and VBox 5 works now, more or less. However, whenever I start a virtual mchine, there's a pause of up to around 10 seconds with the "Starting virtual machine" progress bar stuck at 0% before anything seems to happen. This never occurred with previous versions!
This is the problem here after every new release, especially after installing the extension pack. After a host restart, this issue is gone every time.
This is the first time I've ever encountered this issue and alas, a reboot has not made any difference at all.
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Post by BrianG61UK »

Isn't this the usual thing with the new hardened security that's been in every version since 4.3.14 and has been extensively discussed elsewhere?
Papolytic

Post by Papolytic »

I just installed (few hours ago) V5 on Win 7 Pro 64 (plus all updates):

So far it's running well without any visible problems: I'm using the following three guests:

(all 64 bit)

1) Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64. - No problems after installing guest tools. I noticed others mention the Num-lock notification, and either way, its not a big deal.
2) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64.
3) Win 10 Build 10166 64. No problems.

nice job! Thanks.

PS: I know I should complain about something but I'll have to give it time. I did a big build of a Linux OS from 12.04(~1.1 hours) but it completed. Usually it takes around the same time, perhaps a little longer like 1.2 hrs.
minime

Post by minime »

First of all let me say that new features look really nice and useful. Kudos to the dev team.

But I ran into problems when using 5.0.0 build 101573-Win. Let me describe it:

1) Grab the files from web (VirtualBox-5.0.0-101573-Win installer and appropriate extension pack)
2) Since i was using VB ver 4.3.28 to great success, I just started install as upgrade, and all went well no issues there
3) After install all machines start normally (win 7, win 8, fedora, ubuntu, some bsd's), didnt have time to test all the functionality, but it seems ok at first glance
4) Then I notice the network problem on host machine, Win8.1 Pro (all updates installed) which can be desrcibed in short like this:
  • Main wired interface has all the parameters ok (ip address, dns servers etc) but has absolutely no connectivity whatsoever, not towards internet only, but any location including local net. I start a virtual machine (any of them) that has configured Bridged Adapter as net adapter and bang, net on host works! I stop the machine and net on host doesn't work :(
    Digging a little deeper, I went to properties of my wired network connection and tried to disable VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver and network on host works (without starting any vm)! Now if I do this then net on guests doesn't work ofc.
    To be on the safe side, I went to another machine, also Win 8.1 Pro (all updates installed), that is completely independent of the one i noticed problems on. I did the same install of VBox 5 and got exactly the same problem.
    Also I tried starting VBox as Admin, but no difference there.
    Then I completely removed VBox and did a clean install, again the same problem.
I tried searching online for the solution but got no results, tried searching here on forums but haven't had any luck.

If anyone has a solution for this I'd truly appreciate sharing the info since VBox 5 is really an exciting release that I'd love to use/test. For now I guess its back to 4.3 series.

Regards,
Srdjan
g2flyer

Post by g2flyer »

While almost all my VMs nicely migrated from VB 4.3.30 to VB 5.0, i have one Win 7 (64-bit) VM which consistently BSODs after the upgrade. The STOP error is not always the same, often i get STOP 0x0000007E but i've also seen
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
*** STOP 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFFF80000500,0x000000000000001,0xFFFFF880026E5003,0x000000000000005)
*** HTTP.sys - Address 0xFFFFF880026E5003 base ad 0xFFFFF8800268000, DateStamp 54ed3ee3
It seems to be something particular about this Win 7 VM as another VM boots nicely as do. Also, varying settings such as #displays (2->1), storage controler (ide->sata), disabling network, usb and alike didn't have any effect. I could, though, boot in safe mode and installed latest version of guest additions. However, that still didn't help. Also, boot in safe mode with network failed although when i booted in safe mode, at least the network driver seemed to be standard intel 1000M ..

Any idea how to fix this?

thanks!

BTW: My host is running (32-bit!) Ubuntu 14.04 on a 16GB i7-3720QM
PS
Attachments
VBox.log
Log-file in a "normal" boot resulting in a BSDO
(102.59 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by g2flyer on 13. Jul 2015, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Infinitydon

Post by Infinitydon »

I have downloaded the latest release and I installed Ubuntu 14 64bit but Ubuntu can't detect the virtualization extension on windows 7 (I have checked if VT is enabled in BIOS and it says it is enabled).

Virtualbox Version 5 says we can make use of para-virtualization, has anybody tried this?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Infinitydon wrote:I have downloaded the latest release and I installed Ubuntu 14 64bit but Ubuntu can't detect the virtualization extension on windows 7 (I have checked if VT is enabled in BIOS and it says it is enabled).
One can't install a 64bit guest without VT-x/AMD-V enabled so I'm not sure what you mean by "Ubuntu can't detect the virtualization extension on windows 7"
Virtualbox Version 5 says we can make use of para-virtualization, has anybody tried this?
Everyone who is running VB 5.0 is using paravirtualization unless you explicitly disable it.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Infinitydon

Post by Infinitydon »

Hi loukingjr,

Many thanks for the prompt response.

I used the command kvm-ok under the Ubuntu VM, below is the output:

root@ubuntu-amd64:~# kvm-ok
INFO: Your CPU does not support KVM extensions
KVM acceleration can NOT be used

root@ubuntu-amd64:~#
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I believe that's because VT-x is not passed through the guest. VirtualBox does not support nested hypervisors.
my explanation may be incomplete. 8)
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
msq

Post by msq »

HI,

Just migrated to 5.0 on two different machines - on Win8.1 from 5.x beta to 5.0.0 r 101573 and on Win7 Pro 64b from 4.3.30 (I think) also to 5.0.0 r 101573. On machine where I migrated from 5 beta to 5.0 got no issues at all. While on pc where I migrated from 4.3.x I'm experiencing the following:

- num lock is flipping between host and guest - seems like by default it is turned off on every guest and it is flipping between on and off while focus change from host to guest. Not critical but annoying. I have a deja vu btw and I think I experienced that long time ago.....

- network is not working. I have bridged network set up. And can access local addresses but nothing external. By local addresses I mean everything within my home network - router on port 80, 22 or 21, web page running on another physical machine and so on. Same behaviour on guest Windows (Win10 64b) and Linux (CentOS 6.5 64b). I even created brand new guest machine (CentOS 6.5 64b) with IPv4 only enabled and DHCP. And got the same problem.
Tried to switch network card to DHCP - it gets IP from router and... got exactly the same problems - works for local network and doesn't for external world. Same on guest Windows and linux.
Compared all settings between pc with issues and pc without issues - guest network, guest routing, virtual VBox network device on host - can't see any differences. And I ran out of ideas....
Vagrant vm that has network set to NAT - got no problems at all.

EDIT: Quickly tested on Win10 guest - switched in VB settings from bridged to NAT - and it is working. Switched back to bridged - and network issues are reappearing.

EDIT2: Seems like it is not only me - #14261 and #14271

Before migration it was all good, I used that every day.
For network issues I would blame my router, but the Win8 laptop is using exactly the same router and connection. And is working.

Host system:
Windows 7 Professional 64b 16GB RAM

Guest os where I experienced issues:
- Windows 10 64b build 10166 with updated Guest Additions
- CentOS 64b, without Guest Additions (it never has them installed before)

Will appreciate any suggestions!
Hawk McDuck
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, Linux

Post by Hawk McDuck »

Re: VB 5.0 Install fails on Mac OS X 10.10.4.

I'm a long time user of VirtualBox. Today I upgraded VB4.3.30 on three machines, two successfully.

- Upgrade to VB 5.0 on MS Win 7 (latest patches) SUCCESS
- Upgrade to VB 5.0 on iMac (mid 2007) running OS X 10.10.4 with 4GB RAM SUCCESS
- - Upgrade to VB 5.0 on Mac Pro 1,1 model A1186 running OS X 10.10.4 with 24GB RAM FAILED. Installer log (filtered for errors) follows:

Jul 14 08:13:10 iMacHawk.local installd[2568]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Jul 14 08:13:14 iMacHawk.local installd[2568]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo=0x7faff5ff4850 {NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
NSFilePath = "./postflight";
NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
}
Jul 14 08:13:15 iMacHawk.local Installer[79287]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul 14 08:13:15 iMacHawk.local Installer[79287]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul 14 08:13:15 iMacHawk.local Installer[79287]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Hawk McDuck
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, Linux

Post by Hawk McDuck »

Re: VB 5.0 Install fails on Mac OS X 10.10.4.

Correction: The failed upgrade on the Mac Pro 1,1 (original) was from VB 4.3.28 (not 4.3.30 as I incorrectly stated earlier). The two successful upgrades were from 4.3.30 to 5.0.

I tried to re-install VB 5.0 on the Mac Pro 1,1 (original) without success, and subsequently tried to re-install VB 4.3.30 on the same machine, again without success (same errors). I then restored VirtualBox.app in /Applications from a Time Machine backup, but launching VB again failed with the same error.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my startup disk every night at 1am, so I used CCC to restore the entire startup disk from last night. After rebooting to my usual startup disk, I am now able to run VB 4.2.28 on the Mac Pro 1,1 (original) running OS X 10.10.4.

At the moment my Mac Pro 1,1 is a happy camper running VB 4.3.28, but we'll not be upgrading to VB 5.0 for the foreseeable future.
mediaf
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
Guest OSses: windows XP

Post by mediaf »

I'm really angry to have followed the advice at the start of Virtualbox, and to have upgraded from 4.3.30 to 5.0 :evil:

Right at the start of my first VM, I noticed that it was impossible to minimize it as I have always done, by clicking on the button at the right of the mini toolbar.
I started another VM and I noticed the same thing.
I looked in the parameters to see if there was a new param to change it, but I found nothing.
I tried some changes in the new parameters "user interface", but nothing changed.
As I am at work and have many other things to do than debugging VirtualBox, I decided to downgrade to 4.3.
It was done easily except that the 4.3 Extension Pack wasn't automaticaly installed after the downgrade, so my VMs using usb 2.0 weren't able to start.
I manually installed 4.3 Extension Pack and started my VMs as I have much work to do on them.
But I noticed that 2 important menus had disapeared from the mini toolbar : the "Machine" and the "View" menus.
Now I don't know how to get them back.
I'm really suprised that this release which should have been "stable" is so buggy.
Because of that I nearly have lost one day of work.