[Solved] Installing MS-DOS on VirtualBox from floppy images

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
ZenHacker
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS-DOS 6.22, Kali Linux, Plan 9, Metasploitable

[Solved] Installing MS-DOS on VirtualBox from floppy images

Post by ZenHacker »

I have no idea how to do this. I understand you're supposed to install an operating system from an ISO file, but is it possible to install an operating system from multiple .IMA floppy disk images? I'm trying to install MS-DOS on VirtualBox, but I don't know where to find an ISO file for it, and I don't know if there are ISO files of MS-DOS, seeing as it's an older operating system. I downloaded a copy of the MS-DOS 5.0 installer from vetusware(.)com, and it came as three floppy images. I'm totally new to this, so any help would be appreciated.
DevJackson

Re: Installing MS-DOS on VirtualBox from three floppy images

Post by DevJackson »

Not some vbox pro, by far. Trying finding a way to combine the three floppy images of MSDOS into an iso. A google search "floppy images to iso" pulls up a link to winimage
You can probably find an iso through a google search or on your flavor of torrent site.
dlharper
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

Can I suggest you use DOS 6.2 (the latest stand-alone version was 6.22). It has the best installation routine, as well as facilities the earlier versions don't have. It is downloadable from various places. Technically is still has Microsoft's copyright, but it is so old they seem happy for people to use it. (I am not sure I am supposed to say that here.)

To install: Create a Virtual Machine of type DOS. (The default RAM and hard disk size are fine for DOS 6 - they are a bit too big for the earlier versions.) If you accept all defaults, then all you need to do in Settings is, under Storage, point the floppy disk to your first disk image. (Click on the Floppy | Empty icon in the storage tree, then the other floppy icon next to Attributes | Floppy Device 0). Start the VM and follow the instructions, accepting all defaults unless you need to change the Location settings. You will need to replace the floppy image with disk 2 and disk 3 during the process and remove the last one at the end. (Use the floppy icon at the bottom of the VirtualBox window. You will not need disk 4 at this stage.)

That should get you started. Ask again if you want to install a CD-ROM or Mouse (say), though I suggest you use the "Other Guests" forum.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

ZenHacker wrote:I understand you're supposed to install an operating system from an ISO file,
Not really. What is normally needed is a bootable medium. That could be a CD or a floppy or network boot.
but is it possible to install an operating system from multiple .IMA floppy disk images?
Certainly.
I'm trying to install MS-DOS on VirtualBox, but I don't know where to find an ISO file for it, and I don't know if there are ISO files of MS-DOS, seeing as it's an older operating system.
Why so complicated? Just use the floppy images you have :) Forget ISOs, it won't work.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The trick is to make sure that a floppy controller is present in the VM recipe, along with a floppy drive. Then you can put the first of the floppy images in the floppy drive using the Storage panel, and start the VM.

I'm not sure there are standards for .IMA. Just make sure its a raw uncompressed floppy image, 1.44MB.
ZenHacker
Guest OSses: MS-DOS 6.22, Kali Linux, Plan 9, Metasploitable

Post by ZenHacker »

I have successfully installed MS-DOS 5.0 on the virtual machine. Thanks for your help, people.