No netword adapter detected?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Milew

No netword adapter detected?

Post by Milew »

What settings should I have? I have 2 2012 servers running fine, I am attempting to install ESXi. It loads but when it gets half way through it says there is no network adapter detected? I have internet in the other machines?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No netword adapter detected?

Post by scottgus1 »

I think ya done got the wrong website there, ain't ESXi a VMware thingy?
Milew

Post by Milew »

You are correct, but I am using virtualbox, as that is what I already am running my other VMs in. you can runEXS in virtual box, I am just confused with the settings.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Milew wrote:you can runEXS in virtual box
You want to run ESXi inside the Virtualbox guest? That would be what's called "nested virtualization", and Virtualbox doesn't support that. It may run, but only 32-bit guests that don't require VT-x/AMD-V. As for network settings, no way to tell what may work without experimenting with it. There's no official Virtualbox method to get that setup to work.
Milew

Post by Milew »

scottgus1 wrote:
Milew wrote:you can runEXS in virtual box
You want to run ESXi inside the Virtualbox guest? That would be what's called "nested virtualization", and Virtualbox doesn't support that. It may run, but only 32-bit guests that don't require VT-x/AMD-V. As for network settings, no way to tell what may work without experimenting with it. There's no official Virtualbox method to get that setup to work.
Thanks! Yeah, the only reason I was using VB was because you need a pc with no OS to run ESXi, my laptop gave the same error, but it is older so it may not be compatible. I didn't want to wipe my main PC, so I used VB. VMware gives an error, too.

Thanks for the response.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Milew wrote: I didn't want to wipe my main PC
If I only had one PC to try it on I'd try another hard drive and change the boot order in the bios.