Vboxmanage modifyvm --largepages, --vtxvpid

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Vboxmanage modifyvm --largepages, --vtxvpid

Post by scottgus1 »

I was poking thru the help file for version 5 and found reference to the commands in the title of this thread, which commands are also available in 4.2.16, which I'm still running for now. The help file says some overhead can be removed from running a guest with these commands.

Has anyone tried these commands on a guest to see what happens? My host is a Intel core-I7-2600, running Windows 7 professional 64-bit, and the guests are both Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, with PAE/NX and nested paging turned on. I could just take backups then see what goes down, Curious if anyone has experience with them.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Vboxmanage modifyvm --largepages, --vtxvpid

Post by noteirak »

All my VMs on my boxes with an Intel CPU run with large pages and the VPID option. It just makes the whole thing faster. I never tried without it to see the actual difference so I cannot comment on that.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I typically have hpet, largepages ( intel EPT ) enabled on all guests. I have tried the guests with them off but there is a reduction in speed.
My Dev. box is a i7-5820K CPU on x99 chipset board and even then it makes a world of difference with them enabled. Why are you wanting to stop them? Are you running low on resources, or just curious?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Perryg wrote:Why are you wanting to stop them?
Actually I never issued the commands to turn them on. Makes me wonder if they're on by default? (opening my guest folder and scan thru the .vbox file....) Sure enough they are on by default!

OK, sorry for the distraction, I thought I could squeeze a bit more speed out of my guests; turns out they're squeezed already. :o

Thanks, Noteirak & Perry!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

No need to be sorry and this is far from a distraction. You wanted to know and now you do. Sounds like this was the right question to solve a curiosity. You should see some of the questions I ask. :mrgreen: