How to assign multiple static IP's on vm

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: How to assign multiple static IP's on vm

Post by noteirak »

orenpp1 wrote:Will further elaborate....

I have 1 desktop 1 NIC(physical), Windows 7 professional (host & all guests). 1 modem with a static IP dail up DSL conection.
Each VM also has dail up connection on desktop (static IP).

When I dail up from any VM it shows me the static IP (which is what I want)
I need to make sure that when a dail up disconnection takes place on any VM the guest will not be able to access the host's LAN directly.
In other words, when the dail up connection on any of my VM desktop is not dailed I will not have internet access....

Would appreciate any help and sorry if I was unclear before.
Let's go a step further and continue on the why/what you need. You're only telling us how right now.
Why do you have several VMs? Why do you need them to get the external static IP? Why can't they access your LAN when having an external IP?
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
orenpp1

Post by orenpp1 »

I have 1 modem.
If I understand correctly then I should block the guests from the hosts from windows firewall??
How can I do that?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

noteirak wrote:Let's go a step further and continue on the why/what you need. You're only telling us how right now.
Why do you have several VMs? Why do you need them to get the external static IP? Why can't they access your LAN when having an external IP?
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
Pickettroy1991

Post by Pickettroy1991 »

If I uncheck the box "allow control running device to share this community adapter" this IP Address:192.168.1.1 I recently used, will my VM's nonetheless be able to talk with the parent partition? Will I nevertheless be able to do a live migration between hosts with this checkbox unchecked?
Is the most effective motive to check this field in case you don't have sufficient NICs then you may allow your VM visitors to head over the host control port?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

This is on VirtualBox? That sound like Hyper-V terminology. VirtualBox does not have a parent partition. What sort of "live migration" are we discussing?

Virtual machines are not "devices running on this machine". They are separate machines running their own OS.
Bill