VM stuck at "stopping" state when shutting down

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.

VM stuck at "stopping" state when shutting down

Postby billtt » 27. May 2008, 08:27

I am using vb 1.6 amd64 version on a WindowsXP 64bit host system, with a guest system of ubuntu 8.04.
The problem is, the virtual machine will often be stuck at "stopping" state when I shut down Linux, and will never resume. And when a vm is stuck, I cannot start another guest system, and the virtualbox process on host system cannot be killed, neither can host shut down or restart normally. I have to reset my host machine every time this happens.
Anyone has any idea how to fix this? Thanks a lot!
billtt

Re: VM stuck at "stopping" state when shutting down

Postby saddis01 » 21. Aug 2012, 16:55

I am having the exact same problem using VirtualBox 4.1.6 with a guest OS of redhat. The virtual machine keeps getting stuck at stopping state and the only temporary fix I have is to reboot the host machine running the VM. I haven't found any fixes for this problem.
saddis01

Re: VM stuck at "stopping" state when shutting down

Postby mpack » 21. Aug 2012, 17:31

saddis01 wrote:I haven't found any fixes for this problem.

How about updating to a later version of VirtualBox? There have been six updates to VBox since v4.1.8, not counting the v4.2 betas, so perhaps the problem was fixed?

ps. I don't know if you noticed that you were commenting on a four year old message - there have been rather more software updates in that time!
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Return to Using VirtualBox