Differing static IPs guest and Hosts?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
VBGUY

Differing static IPs guest and Hosts?

Post by VBGUY »

My host is currently using NAT from a DHCP router and gets assigned an internal IP that NATs to a static external IP.

I need to run a couple of guests that would not use DHCP or NAT. Each guest will have a different public static IP as these are internet servers.

I'm assuming that I will need to add another NIC card to my host machine to be used by the guests. Then hook that NIC via CAT5 to a different router that I already have set up and running -- this router is set up for the public IP network. That should work, right?

I need to make sure that the HOST doesn't ever use that new NIC as a route to the internet for my host operating system. Only the guests should ever talk over that NIC. What would be the best way to configure all this?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Differing static IPs guest and Hosts?

Post by Martin »

That would be the right solution.
You just need to make sure that the host doesn't have an IP address on that card.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

To ensure your host doesn't use the second NIC, you also need to remove the host's normal bindings off the card, but leave all the Virtualbox bindings. Virtualbox will then be able to use the card but the host OS's networking can't.
VBGUY

Post by VBGUY »

Thanks guys. Good advice and sounds like it will work perfectly! I appreciate the help!