Connecting to VM/client via browser

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Da_Gator

Connecting to VM/client via browser

Post by Da_Gator »

I don't presently use Virtual Box - I'm simply trying to figure out the best host system to use for my application before jumping in. I have many (mostly Dell 64 bit either single or multiple CPU) systems that I can run RHEL or any Windows OS up to and including Win Server 2012 on to act as my host - although I personally perfer Red Hat. What functionality/software will allow me to connect to a VM client's desktop through my browser? I've seen this done on both the Red Hat training site and the EC-Council training site and basically that allows me to operate their virtual machine over the Internet. Thanks in advance for being kind and helpful to a first time poster.

Da_Gator
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Connecting to VM/client via browser

Post by BillG »

You don't need anything special to connect to a vm through the network. All you need is to configure the vm to use bridged networking so that it has its own IP on your local LAN. After that you can proceed as if it was another physical machine on your LAN - the networking protocols don't differentiate because they are not aware of any difference. The vm is just another address on the LAN.

It really makes no difference what OS you use. They all conform to the TCP/IP specs and you are doing standard networking things.
Bill
Da_Gator

Post by Da_Gator »

Thank you BillG. I'm not sure if I'm correctly describing what I want to accomplish so allow me an opportunity to clarify my needs. I realize that I will be able to ping the VM Client and maybe SSH or RSYNC into it to do some work; however, the capability that I specifically crave is to be able to actually see that VM's desktop and file system on my WYSE terminal and be able to operate it through its GUI desktop just as if I was connected to it directly - you're saying that all I have to do is bridge that network connection and I should be able to do that? I'll give it a try and post my results (probably on Monday). Thank you, Da_Gator
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Da-Gator, What I think you're talking about is remote-in software, which can run in the guest or the host. In the guest, you can get a pay-for or free program that is good with the guest OS (like vnc or LogMein or MS remote desktop or TeamViewer). Some require opening ports on the router, and as Bill said the easiest way to get those ports configured right is if your guest is set to Bridged, so the guest appears in your LAN as a separate PC to the network. (Set a fixed IP address on the guest virtual network card in the same range as the host's LAN so the port forwarding will work really nice.) Other remote-in software connects to the software provider's servers & maintains the connection from within the guest so you don't have to open ports. (NAT network may work here?)
There's also Virtualbox's RDP server, which is compatible with Microsoft Remote Desktop protocol, and allows connecting to the guest desktop from the host's IP address and a custom port for each guest. No internet access or network connections in the guest are required. Virtualbox was supposed to have a built-in vnc server, too, I don't know if it's still there or not. Either style of Virtualbox server will require opening ports in the router to the host.
As for what OS to use in either guest or host, it's personal preference. they're all competitive and all do almost the same things. Just have to consider what programs you want to run in the guest. Only restriction is you can't have a Mac OS guest unless it's a Mac host (check the EULA for the Mac OS if you want to go that way in a guest).
Da_Gator

Post by Da_Gator »

Scottgus1, thank you for providing this info - I'll post back here once we get the final solution.
Da_Gator

Post by Da_Gator »

Scottgus1 and Billg,

I've ended up using VNC server/client software which is allowing me to make the connections that I need. Thank you for the guidance.

v/r
Da_Gator