Discuss the 4.3.22 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
brw1

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

Post by brw1 »

I was fine under 4.3.20. Like the others here upgrading to 4.3.22 and its guest additions went smoothly. But now my XP Mode no longer works properly with an old RBase application that used to work fine under 4.3.20. As others here have noted it seems to relate to mapped shares which are required for my application. It seems to keep "forgetting" where it is. I've downgraded back to 4.3.20 and all is fine again. The new release should have been more thoroughly tested!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

brw1 wrote:The new release should have been more thoroughly tested!
By whom? What do you suppose your role is here?

And it would probably be helpful if you were to read existing posts before posting yourself. E.g. starting with the red text in the first post in this topic.
brw1

Post by brw1 »

Sorry. I did see that in the first post but I always scroll through posts and never place one myself until I've reached the end. Since I saw additional remarks about this after the first one I assumed that didn't resolve the problem. I've since reinstalled 4.3.22 and the updated Guest Additions, and while the original problem is resolved I have a new one: BAT files that were set to run automatically on startup and worked fine before now request permission before proceeding. There are no XP settings I can change to stop this from happening. The files still work but it just creates an extra set of keystrokes that have to be entered. I haven't changed any settings in the VBox. So again, I've reverted back to 4.3.20 and the problem has gone away.
DeanGibson
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Andyroid, Win XP

Post by DeanGibson »

mpack wrote:Could all those having problems with GA features (such as shared folders), please make clear whether the problem is only with the latest GAs, or does it happen even with older versions of the GAs on 4.3.22 host software?
The problem I was having, was that every few minutes, a WinXP guest pop-up "bubble" for its Ethernet connection would show "Now connected @ 100MB" (or some such).

That was after upgrading from 4.3.20 to 4.3.22 (including the extpack, but NOT the Guest Additions). Going back to 4.3.20 (and extpack) solved the issue. I was about to try 4.3.22 again and this time apply the new (4.3.23) Guest Additions, but since I didn't save the older Guest Additions (a link would be helpful), I'm a bit reluctant to do that now.

I'll try stuff, but at least I'd like to go down a different rabbit hole than everyone else.
VirtualBox 4.3.24 w/ corresponding extpack.
Host: Win 7 SP1/64-bit (i7 CPU w/8GB RAM)
Guest #1: Andyroid 0.41 (1 core, 1GB RAM)
Guest #2: Win XP SP3/32bit (4 virtual cores, 3GB RAM) + Guest Additions 4.3.23
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

The 4.3.23 GAs fixed the "Disconnected Network Drive" for Windows guests < Windows 10. Can anyone confirm the same is true for Windows 10? I'm still getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" label in W10 although the shared folder works.

TIA
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JackS

Post by JackS »

Installing 4.3.22 broke the hosts network stack for me on a Win 8.1 64-bit host (Dell laptop with Intel AC Wireless adapter, as first pointed out in the thread "Installing Version 4.3.22 Broke My System" by another user (was advised by moderator to post here instead). After a host reboot, the login was successful but the remaining bootup (namely getting to the desktop) kept hanging and one couldn't even start Task Manager or any other helper applications. Only way around was to crash the system to enter Safe Boot and uninstall VirtualBox entirely (including deleting the network drivers in the windows\system32 directory manually). Got the system back. Performing a clean install (instead of upgrade) allows for a clean host reboot, however the network stack was again unresponsive. Now I was able to disable the VirtualBox adapter though through device manager, and the host network adapter worked fine.

Not sure, what log information to post about this, as the VirtualBox logs didn't yield anything useful IMO, and the host event manager didn't give any real indications on this either.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Shared folders issue with GAs 4.3.22, is fixed with GAs 4.3.23.
socratis wrote:- Shared folders is seriously broken across all Windows guests.
loukingjr wrote:The 4.3.23 GAs fixed the "Disconnected Network Drive" for Windows guests < Windows 10. Can anyone confirm the same is true for Windows 10? I'm still getting the "Disconnected Network Drive" label in W10 although the shared folder works.
Yes, I will oblige. Make that <= 10 (Build 9926). The updated GAs (https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... -98282.iso) from the first post seem to be working. Including (but not limited to) network shares, which are to be auto-mounted, do not appear disconnected.
 Edit: Tested all "available" Win guests (>=2000). Everything seems to be working, network browsing and non-disconnected automout shares. 
Last edited by socratis on 17. Feb 2015, 07:43, edited 3 times in total.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DeanGibson

Post by DeanGibson »

DeanGibson wrote:... I was about to try 4.3.22 again and this time apply the new (4.3.23) Guest Additions, but since I didn't save the older Guest Additions (a link would be helpful), I'm a bit reluctant to do that now.

I'll try stuff, but at least I'd like to go down a different rabbit hole than everyone else.
OK, I reinstalled 4.3.22 and (on Win XP) Guest Additions 4.3.23. I still get the periodic "Local Area Connection is now connected" pop-up bubble.
If I don't hear of something else to try by tomorrow (Tuesday), it's back to 4.3.20.
Iuliu Pascaru
Guest OSses: Fedora, Ubuntu, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP

Post by Iuliu Pascaru »

I noticed that after upgrading from VirtualBox-4.3.20-96996-Win to VirtualBox-4.3.22-98236-Win, my guest Ubuntu 12.04 kept resetting 1 NIC about once per minute.
There are 3 NICs configured in this Ubuntu guest, but only the one connected as a NAT connection has this problem. Other NICs connected to an Internal Network and a Bridged Connection work fine.

Please see the guest-related log file attached. It shows that the NAT link is resetting very frequently without any apparent reasons:

Code: Select all

01:34:16.371957 NAT: link down
01:34:21.372406 NAT: link up
After switching back to VirtualBox-4.3.20-96996-Win and restarting the guest, the problem went away.

As the 4.3.22 build contains changes made to the NAT-related components, according to the changelog, it probably means that an issue was introduced in this build:
NAT: new ping proxy for Windows hosts (bug #11871)
NAT: Properly report outbound connect(2) failures to guest with TCP RST or ICMP (bug #10525)
NAT Network: no need for frequent wakeups in VBoxNetDHCP and VBoxNetNAT (bug #11681)
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(39.09 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DeanGibson wrote:I still get the periodic "Local Area Connection is now connected" pop-up bubble. If I don't hear of something else to try by tomorrow (Tuesday), it's back to 4.3.20.
See: Minimum information needed for assistance. Interested particularly in a zipped VBox.log from a full guest session, i.e. start guest, observe problem, shutdown guest, zip the log file, attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote: Yes, I will oblige. Make that <= 10 (Build 9926). The updated GAs (https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... -98282.iso) from the first post seem to be working. Including (but not limited to) network shares, which are to be auto-mounted, do not appear disconnected.
Hmmm, My W10(9926) still says "Disconnected… ". I guess I will try and reinstall them.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Turned out I had to do a clean install of Windows 10. A new VM. My W10 started as a Windows 8.1 guest and was updated up to W10 build 9926. There was a reserved partition left over from the W 8.1 install and apparently caused an issue getting the 4.3.23 GAs to work.

All's well that ends well.
DeanGibson

Post by DeanGibson »

socratis wrote:
DeanGibson wrote:I still get the periodic "Local Area Connection is now connected" pop-up bubble. If I don't hear of something else to try by tomorrow (Tuesday), it's back to 4.3.20.
See: Minimum information needed for assistance. Interested particularly in a zipped VBox.log from a full guest session, i.e. start guest, observe problem, shutdown guest, zip the log file, attach it to your response.
Never mind; I don't need assistance. It's not that important to me (I'm going back to 4.3.20). I'm just trying to help with additional info about whether or not the new Guest Additions solves the problem.

Edit #1: I'm back @ 4.3.20, with GA 4.3.23 still installed, and in about an hour, I have not seen the problem reoccur. I'll leave the virtual session running overnight with nothing going on, and check it again in the morning (Tuesday).

Edit #2: (early afternoon on Tuesday) Problem has not recurred.
Last edited by DeanGibson on 17. Feb 2015, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.
g2flyer

Post by g2flyer »

I have rather mixed feelings of 4.3.22 (running it on Ubuntu 14.04 32-bit with vanilly Unity):
  • as 4.3.18 and 4.3.20, i get Failed to load unit 'pgm' (VERR_NO_MEMORY) trying to resume saved VMs. This happened for both win7 and linux and for vms of RAM sizes of 1 to 3.5GB. See attached a VBox.log
    However, contrary to past versions, for this one it seems this is a one-time effect and after dropping state once, suspending and resuming works in the future
  • Fullscreen mode is stull bust (since 4.3.16): on the second/right screen it is shown only offset and hence only partially. On the left screen, though, it works fine. This happened on right monitor regardless whether it is the (laptop) built-in one or an external one; it also happened on two separate external monitors of different dimensions (my laptop is 1920x1080 and external montoris are 1920x1080 and 1900x1200, respectively. Note that it is also independent of whether or not 2D/3D acceleration are enabled or not.
    Th graphics card is Quadro K1000M driven by nvidia 343.36)
    Attached log-file is from a resumed VM where i first did a fullscreen on right/second monitor (which got screwed up) and then on left/first monitor where it worked
Attachments
VBox.failed-to-load-unit-pgm.log
Log file from a failed to load pgm problem
(97.27 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
VBox.fullscreen-problem.log
VBox.log for fullscreen problem
(125.95 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Biite wrote:Anyone's got problems with PXE-booting VM's? After the upgrade to 4.3.22 from 4.3.20 my VM's fail to PXE boot.
Yes. Unfortunately it's just broken in 4.3.22 (in a rather indirect way) and there's no workaround. If you need PXE, I'm afraid you have to go back to an earlier release.