Page 1 of 7

Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 13. Feb 2015, 09:46
by frank
Discuss the 4.3.22 release here. See the changelog for details. Please concentrate on regressions. Of course, positive feedback is also welcome :-)

Regarding the Shared Folders problem with Windows Guests: this seems to be a GAs snafu. Fixed GAs can be downloaded here.

Regarding the more or less frequent connection drops with NAT/NAT Network on Windows host: Fixed package can be downloaded from the test builds area.

Regarding PXE boot regression on Windows hosts: Fixed package can be downloaded from the test builds area.

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 13. Feb 2015, 14:30
by SamH
I have upgraded today and virtual machine does not start. I have opened ticket: 13827.

What to do since I really need to have access to this virtual machine? Thanks.

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 13. Feb 2015, 15:33
by idrozd
no comment
host Windows 8.1 x64
guest: ubuntu 14.10 x32

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 01:02
by quickbooks
Please take a look at this https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/13653

Guess we are stuck forever with 4.3.14!

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 10:36
by socratis
- Shared folders is seriously broken across all Windows guests.
- My shared folder is setup as: read-only, not auto-mount, permanent.
- In the guest, you could go to Explorer, Network, and browse to \\VBoxSvr\SharedFolder.
- This fails with GAs 4.3.22 (\\VBoxSrv is empty), it works fine if you downgrade to 4.3.20 (even in place).
- Guests that it fails: 2000, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 (b9841 and b9926), pretty much every Win guest.

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 10:57
by loukingjr
I agree with socratis. There are some issues with shared folders. In my Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 guests, \\VBoxSrv is empty but I do have an E: drive which is the shared folder. The contents are there and I can access them but the drive is listed as "Disconnected Network Drive".

Shared Folder settings are Auto-Mount, Permanent.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exit.

From my 8.1 guest. W7 and W10 look the same.
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 7.33.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 7.33.14 AM.png (124.85 KiB) Viewed 12182 times

Re-Edit: repaired W7 and W8.1 shared folders by removing the folders while the guests were open. Restarted the guests. Rolled back to the 4.3.20 GAs. Re-added the shared folders.

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 15:48
by ChipMcK
loukingjr wrote:if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exist.
I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 15:49
by loukingjr
ChipMcK wrote:
loukingjr wrote:if I remove the shared folder from the guests, the E: drive remains in the Windows guests and is still labeled "Disconnected Network Drive". And I don't know how to get rid of it. If I try and disconnect it, I get an error dialog saying it doesn't exist.
I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO

some of us don't use Windows much. :D

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 15:56
by socratis
ChipMcK wrote:I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO

Actually, it's not that easy sometimes. Once a network share is "disconnected" people have to ultimately go to the registry to "kill" it. And it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I've been researching it all morning. Take a look: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... sconnected

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 16:00
by loukingjr
socratis wrote:
ChipMcK wrote:I highlighted the Network Share, Cntl-Click for drop-down and selected Disconnent. Puff. Normal processing IMHO

Actually, it's not that easy sometimes. Once a network share is "disconnected" people have to ultimately go to the registry to "kill" it. And it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. I've been researching it all morning. Take a look: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... sconnected

There is also a way to do it by creating a share folder (not VB shared folder) in Windows and go through some rig-a-ma roll which I forget already. :o

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 16:13
by ChipMcK
socratis wrote:- Shared folders is seriously broken across all Windows guests.
- My shared folder is setup as: read-only, not auto-mount, permanent.
- In the guest, you could go to Explorer, Network, and browse to \\VBoxSvr\SharedFolder.
- This fails with GAs 4.3.22 (\\VBoxSrv is empty), it works fine if you downgrade to 4.3.20 (even in place).
- Guests that it fails: 2000, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 (b9841 and b9926), pretty much every Win guest.

Until I installed the current GAs, the network was not viewable.
After Guest Additions install, normal processing IMHO

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 16:19
by loukingjr
ChipMcK wrote:Until I installed the current GAs, the network was not viewable.
After Guest Additions install, normal processing IMHO

Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66094

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 16:30
by ChipMcK
loukingjr wrote:Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66094
Been using the VM for years, under VMWare Fusion and then VBox v3.x. Normal VBox release upgrade (i do delete previous before install) process was normal.

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 16:40
by loukingjr
ChipMcK wrote:
loukingjr wrote:Seems odd I had working shared folders in W7 and W8.1 guests before I installed the new GAs but once I did socratis and I both had the same problem.

So did this user…
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66094
Been using the VM for years, under VMWare Fusion and then VBox v3.x. Normal VBox release upgrade (i do delete previous before install) process was normal.

I uninstall before I upgrade VB as well. What I don't do is uninstall the guest additions first. I just tried an XP guest and I get the same problem.

Edit: deleted the 4.3.20 GAs from my Windows 7 guest before I installed the 4.3.22 GAs. Same problem.

I don't think it's a coincidence that whatever changes were made to the 4.3.22 GAs to improve W10 support cause all Windows guests to list shared folders as a "Disconnected Network Drive".

Re: Discuss the 4.3.22 release

PostPosted: 14. Feb 2015, 17:13
by ChipMcK
Set up new Shared Folder for the VM without Auto-Mount
Started up the VM
Cant view the new Network Share
Shut down the VM
Updated Shared Folder to include Auto-Mount
Started up the VM
The new Network Share assigned to first available drive
On restart of VM, this Network Share listed as Disconnected Network Drive. All folders and files show for it. IF try to disconnect , not found.

Differences:
  • Pre-existing Network Shares not auto-mount
  • Auto-Mount Network Shares