Discuss the 4.3.18 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
galitsyn

Re: Discuss the 4.3.18 release

Post by galitsyn »

mpack wrote:
Shevchuk wrote:Seems that problem is with guest additions. Without GA it goes fullscreen and back to windowed mode just fine
Not really. There has been a problem of OpenGL drivers tripping over the new hardening features on Windows hosts. There can also be totally unrelated host driver bugs which cause OpenGL problems.

Of course if you don't install the GAs then you don't get graphics acceleration which means it can't fail to load the OpenGL drivers. While the observation is true, it's a poor workaround and not a solution: most will want decent graphics performance.
Could you please try the next test build and confirm if going back from fullscreen mode now works for you? https://www.virtualbox.org/download/tes ... _amd64.run
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I tried the fix. It seems to work for Ubuntu 14.10. I also tried it with Ubuntu 15.04. For some reason in Ubuntu 15.04 it sort of works. You actually have to click on the desktop when you switch between full screen and windowed mode so it will finish drawing the whole screen.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

loukingjr wrote:I tried the fix. It seems to work for Ubuntu 14.10. I also tried it with Ubuntu 15.04. For some reason in Ubuntu 15.04 it sort of works. You actually have to click on the desktop when you switch between full screen and windowed mode so it will finish drawing the whole screen.
Are you talking about an Ubuntu 15.04 guest there? If so that does not sound like the same issue, as the original issue was with input, but rather one with redrawing. We will take a look sometime, although probably not immediately, especially as at this early stage Ubuntu 15.04 may well have bugs itself.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

michael wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I tried the fix. It seems to work for Ubuntu 14.10. I also tried it with Ubuntu 15.04. For some reason in Ubuntu 15.04 it sort of works. You actually have to click on the desktop when you switch between full screen and windowed mode so it will finish drawing the whole screen.
Are you talking about an Ubuntu 15.04 guest there? If so that does not sound like the same issue, as the original issue was with input, but rather one with redrawing. We will take a look sometime, although probably not immediately, especially as at this early stage Ubuntu 15.04 may well have bugs itself.
Yes, a 15.04 guest. It's fine. I didn't expect anyone to worry about 15.04 yet. I just thought I would mention it. I do think it's a redrawing issue however. When you switch to full screen it draws all but the top 1/4 of the desktop but as soon as you click on the desktop the rest is drawn. When switching back to windowed mode the opposite occurs. The bottom 1/4 isn't quite completely drawn but pops into view when you click on the screen. The odd thing is, the first time you go to full screen it draws properly and the first time you switch to windowed mode it draws properly. After that it is as I described. No rush on 15.04 however. :)
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

loukingjr wrote:Yes, a 15.04 guest. It's fine. I didn't expect anyone to worry about 15.04 yet. I just thought I would mention it. I do think it's a redrawing issue however. When you switch to full screen it draws all but the top 1/4 of the desktop but as soon as you click on the desktop the rest is drawn. When switching back to windowed mode the opposite occurs. The bottom 1/4 isn't quite completely drawn but pops into view when you click on the screen. The odd thing is, the first time you go to full screen it draws properly and the first time you switch to windowed mode it draws properly. After that it is as I described. No rush on 15.04 however. :)
Right, thanks for letting us know in any case - and thanks for testing the fix! It should be included in all future 4.3 and later releases.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

michael wrote:
loukingjr wrote:Yes, a 15.04 guest. It's fine. I didn't expect anyone to worry about 15.04 yet. I just thought I would mention it. I do think it's a redrawing issue however. When you switch to full screen it draws all but the top 1/4 of the desktop but as soon as you click on the desktop the rest is drawn. When switching back to windowed mode the opposite occurs. The bottom 1/4 isn't quite completely drawn but pops into view when you click on the screen. The odd thing is, the first time you go to full screen it draws properly and the first time you switch to windowed mode it draws properly. After that it is as I described. No rush on 15.04 however. :)
Right, thanks for letting us know in any case - and thanks for testing the fix! It should be included in all future 4.3 and later releases.
your welcome. I still find it interesting the 4.3.18 version for Macs didn't have the same problem with Ubuntu 14.10. It does have the same problem with 15.04 however.
Shevchuk
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Shevchuk »

Confirm test build working on Ubuntu 14.10 host and 14.10 guest. Thanks!
MikeDevon

Post by MikeDevon »

I really don't know where to post this, there isn't a sub-forum devoted to the VirtualBox website, and it seems unlikely that this problem has gone unnoticed so far (today?). I can't download any VirtualBox files. Regardless of which I select my browser shows "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" (Chrome) or "Server connection was reset" (Firefox). I've tested this on two different PCs with the same result.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

MikeDevon wrote:I really don't know where to post this, there isn't a sub-forum devoted to the VirtualBox website, and it seems unlikely that this problem has gone unnoticed so far (today?). I can't download any VirtualBox files. Regardless of which I select my browser shows "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" (Chrome) or "Server connection was reset" (Firefox). I've tested this on two different PCs with the same result.
What is your host machine and can you download files from other sites?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

loukingjr wrote:
MikeDevon wrote:I really don't know where to post this, there isn't a sub-forum devoted to the VirtualBox website, and it seems unlikely that this problem has gone unnoticed so far (today?). I can't download any VirtualBox files. Regardless of which I select my browser shows "ERR_CONNECTION_ABORTED" (Chrome) or "Server connection was reset" (Firefox). I've tested this on two different PCs with the same result.
What is your host machine and can you download files from other sites?
I just checked and I'm getting the same error. There is something up with the server or they are doing maintenance.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

None of the 4.3.18 download links are working including the extension pack.
MikeDevon

Post by MikeDevon »

Appreciate you confirming that it's not a local issue to my machine(s). I expect it's probably something transitory - but typical it would happen when I most need the download! :)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

MikeDevon wrote:Appreciate you confirming that it's not a local issue to my machine(s). I expect it's probably something transitory - but typical it would happen when I most need the download! :)
isn't that always the case? :wink:
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

seems to be working now.
robatino

Post by robatino »

In my VirtualBox Fedora Rawhide guest, I needed to do an SELinux relabel, and during the process I got the warning
filespec_add: conflicting specifications for /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.18/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/98vboxadd-xclient and /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.18/bin/VBoxClient-all, using system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0.
It doesn't cause any problems I'm aware of, but I don't see a ticket for it, so thought I should ask if it's a known bug. I've never seen it in anything earlier than 4.3.18.