import Snapshot to machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
enter nickname

import Snapshot to machine

Post by enter nickname »

Hello,

I backed up my Virtual Box VMs Folder and formatted my disc.
Now I want to import my snapshot to Virtual Box again. But if I try to import the Machine via Machine->Add...
there are no discs. When I try to add the Snapshot as a disc an Error occurs wich is saying there is no entry for the parent disc in the media registry.

How should I handle this situation? How do I add something manually to the media registry?

Best,
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: import Snapshot to machine

Post by mpack »

You can't "import a snapshot" - a snapshot is small part of the data that makes up one VM.

To restore a VM, copy the entire VM folder back into a host folder (VBox doesn't care which), then use the Machine|Add... menu item to register the .vbox file.

You can't pick and choose individual files to copy, it must be the entire original VM folder, with all contents.

If you want to continue this discussion then provide more details, including precise error messages.
enter nickname

Post by enter nickname »

The last try changed the virtualbox config, and the discs are not in it any more. And unfortunatley from this file I don't have a backup.
So I can't reproduce the initial configuration.

Current situation: Have a working VM with a working disc with an unconnected snapshot from wich I would like to boot.

How can I add this snapshot to my VM config?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, if you don't have a backup of all the important files then the old VM is destroyed.

The following may help you to recover your data:
  1. Copy all of the VDI files (all snapshots plus the base VDI) into a single folder. Use the backup copies - your previous repair attempts probably damaged the copies currently on your hd.
  2. Identify the latest snapshot VDI and clone it using CloneVDI.
  3. Build a new VM around the clone - you cannot install the clone VDI in the original VM.
Note that Windows guests will quite likely need to be reactivated.
enter nickname

Post by enter nickname »

Thank you so much, I was looking for something like this the whole day :)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

One thing I forgot to mention: the clone will be a stand alone VDI, so no snapshots required. Once the new VM is created and tested you can delete all the files associated with the old VM.
pablodecker

Post by pablodecker »

I use the CloneVdi software to merge an Snapshot with the source disk image when the original PC Host crashed, and it worked well!!

1) I placed the snapshot vmdk ({4312fa51-0647-4888-9202-8415f7995971}.vmdk) in the same folder that Source.vmdk
2) Proceed to clone with CloveVDI for Windows

This generated an .vdi with all image merged!!!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Lucky you: support for cloning VMDK snapshots is a relatively recent addition. :)

Seriously, if you want a simple life when using VirtualBox then avoid snapshots and avoid "foreign" disk formats such as VMDK and VHD. Stick to simple VDI format drives.