Discuss the 4.3.16 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Discuss the 4.3.16 release

Post by michael »

parn wrote:Attached is a screenshot of what I am seeing after I manage to escape from fullscreen mode. It seems that a region of my screen is not being updated and it cannot be updated. The screen is not being updated in fullscreen mode as well. It is as if a region of my screen has been blocked off.

When I then press HOST+DELETE after focusing the VM, the Preview Panel in the VM correctly shows the blue windows option screen. Which means, Virtual Box is actually working because the Preview Panel reflects that. Also, after more testing, The mouse cursor bug you mentioned too has been observed at the edges of the VM where the GUI is not blocked.

Since I am experiencing this only in 4.3.16, I think it should be related to the X11 native full-screen multi-screen mapping API.

Running Xorg 1.16 + xf86-video-ati 1:7.4.0-3 on a Radeon Mobility HD3450
One more thought: do you have 3D enabled, and does disabling it make a difference?
parn

Post by parn »

michael wrote:One more thought: do you have 3D enabled, and does disabling it make a difference?
Yes, I have 3D enabled. :D Disabling it solved the problem.

3D OR 3D+2D = blocked screen. 2D does not cause any problem.
Smot

Post by Smot »

Using Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 host
VB 4.3.16
Windows 7 Guest

I run my Win7 guest full screen on a second monitor. Every time I close a window in my host environment (on the other monitor), the VB guest screen becomes minimised, although the minitoolbar remains at the foot of the monitor display.

It's easy enough to restore it, so not a major problem, but it may be linked to some of the other display issues being listed in this topic.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Smot wrote:Using Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 host
VB 4.3.16
Windows 7 Guest

I run my Win7 guest full screen on a second monitor. Every time I close a window in my host environment (on the other monitor), the VB guest screen becomes minimised, although the minitoolbar remains at the foot of the monitor display.

It's easy enough to restore it, so not a major problem, but it may be linked to some of the other display issues being listed in this topic.
Does disabling the mini-toolbar (Settings/General/Advanced) make a difference?
BartonC
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro Raw disk partion access

Post by BartonC »

misha wrote: Could you post a VM log here please?
I'll have to do the upgrade [agian - somewhat of a pain] in order to get a useful log for you.
I should have some time tomorrow to do that.
misha wrote: Just to dobule-check, you mean the issue is gone when you use guest with 4.3.14 Guest Additions with 4.3.16 VBox host installation, right?
Could you attach a VM log for this case as well please?
Guest Additions with 4.3.16 is currently installed and happy.
Kernel modules are also 4.3.16.
The only component downgraded to 4.3.14 at the moment is the front end (virtualbox package)
(Of course, the Extension Pack is also 4.3.14 - related to a separate Arch packaging issue that had to be resolved in the original upgrade in order to get 4.3.16 to fly at all)
Last edited by BartonC on 19. Sep 2014, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Jimson

Post by Jimson »

Since updating host and Windows 7 guest to 4.3.16, where the host runs Ubuntu 14.04, the guest is unusable. From Ubuntu, top shows Vbox running at 200%, where that accounts for the both vCPUs I gave the guest. Windows 7 performance monitor shows "System Interrupts" using a solid 15% - 25% and svchost.exe using another 10 - 25%, and the CPU pegged at 100%. I guess I'm going to try downgrading back to 4.3.14, as at least that environment was usable.

Anyone else have these issues?

Jim
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

I had problems after upgrading with a very slow starting virtual machine / very slow recovery of snapshots. I checked the log file what Vbox was doing - In the log-file, i saw that the HydraVision Desktop Manager (ATI Drivers) tried to inject its DLL-File all the time. Then i disabled the HydraVision Desktop Manager in the ATI Driver properties. All works now fast as expected.
Smot

Post by Smot »

michael wrote:
VB 4.3.16
Windows 7 Guest

Yes - the window now stays open.
New problem: How do I get to the VM menu now? :wink:

I can live with the minimising problem - it's better than losing the mini-toolbar!
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Smot wrote:
michael wrote:
VB 4.3.16
Windows 7 Guest

Yes - the window now stays open.
New problem: How do I get to the VM menu now? :wink:

I can live with the minimising problem - it's better than losing the mini-toolbar!
I'm afraid that keyboard short-cuts - including Host+F to exit full-screen - are probably your best bet for now. Or temporarily going back to 4.3.14 if you don't badly need any 4.3.16 features. I hope this will get fixed this week sometime, and we will probably be able to provide test builds when it does.
Smot

Post by Smot »

michael wrote: I'm afraid that keyboard short-cuts - including Host+F to exit full-screen - are probably your best bet for now. Or temporarily going back to 4.3.14 if you don't badly need any 4.3.16 features. I hope this will get fixed this week sometime, and we will probably be able to provide test builds when it does.
Thanks - I'm generally happy with 4.3.16 and can wait :)
solerman

Post by solerman »

parn wrote:
michael wrote:One more thought: do you have 3D enabled, and does disabling it make a difference?
Yes, I have 3D enabled. :D Disabling it solved the problem.

3D OR 3D+2D = blocked screen. 2D does not cause any problem.
I had this too, together with the hang when trying to shutdown/restart a VM. Keep 3d disabled, then uninstall the guest additions, reboot (forcefully if it hangs) and reinstall them. Then shutdown and re-enabled 3D again. That for me fixed the issue, seems the guest upgrade installation isn't overriding something important (file, config or registry).
BartonC
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro Raw disk partion access

Post by BartonC »

solerman wrote:<snip> ... uninstall the guest additions, reboot (forcefully if it hangs) and reinstall them. Then shutdown and re-enabled 3D again. That for me fixed the issue ...</snip>.
This is the approach that I took. I still have issues getting Aero to behave well, though. I've downgraded virtualbox and the extension pack:

Code: Select all

$ pacman -Qi $(pacman -Qsq virtualbox) | grep -Ei "name|version"
Name           : virtualbox
Version        : 4.3.14-4
Name           : virtualbox-ext-oracle
Version        : 4.3.14-1
Name           : virtualbox-guest-iso
Version        : 4.3.16-1
Name           : virtualbox-host-modules
Version        : 4.3.16-1
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Post by BrianG61UK »

misha wrote:
BrianG61UK wrote:I find that with 4.3.16 my 32 bit Windows VMs (One Windows 7, One XP) (with 3D enabled) will not shut down or restart.
Could you elaborate on what happens to them, i.e. do they halt? if so, does the host VM window remain responsive? Can you shut down a VM by pressing the "x" button and selecting "power off"? etc.
Could you attach a VM log for VM session exposing this issue?
Does this issue go away if you disable the 3D Acceleration for your VM?
Sorry, I've taken so long.

I've now tried 4.3.17 r96101 and find it works well.

Only time with 4.3.17 r96101 when my 32 bit Windows VMs wouldn't restart was immediately after updating the Guest Additions and I think that has always happened to me occasionally even with older versions.
Cake or death

Post by Cake or death »

So, criticism isn't allowed? Can't have much of a discussion if you keep censoring criticism and deleting inconvenient posts.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

I can't install Vbox. It get's to the last screen and the progress bar stops about 3/4 of the way. It sits there forever. I have to use Task Manager to kill it but that leaves my system in a very unusable condition. For one, I have no internet connection because the network got screwed up. I can't even restart my computer, it will go forever. I have to power down and then restore a disk image I made prior to trying to install VBox. I ran as administrator which in the past did the trick but this no longer helps. I need ideas to get Vbox to install.
i7 Quad 3770K @ 5Ghz|ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe|Corsair 1050W PSU|Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler|Corsair DDR3 16GB RAM|Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Edition|Dual ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCD|Samsung SSD 830, 840 256GB|2TB Seagate SATA3, 4TB WD Black SATA3|Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64|AMD 14.9 CATS