Routing Sound on multiple sound cards

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
koumoula

Routing Sound on multiple sound cards

Post by koumoula »

Hi,

I'm based on the release 4.3.10 and a linux Ubutnu 13.10.
I need to route sound devices between on 3 sound cards, and set for each VMs a sound card device.
I use alsa driver.

The old env variable VBOX_ALSA_DAC_DEV and VBOX_ALSA_ADC_DEV are not supported any more.

I"m trying to set extradata this the command line
#VBoxManage setextradata win7 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ichac97/0/LUN#0/Config/Audio/Alsa/ADCDev" plughw:0,7
#VBoxManage setextradata win7 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ichac97/0/LUN#0/Config/Audio/Alsa/DACDev" plughw:0,7

VBoxManage: error: The attached driver configuration is missing the 'Driver' attribute. (VERR_PDM_CFG_MISSING_DRIVER_NAME)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Console, interface IConsole

Set the Driver variable to "snd", does not work :
# VBoxManage setextradata win7 "VBoxInternal/Devices/ichac97/0/LUN#0/Driver" snd
# VBoxManage startvm win7
VBoxManage: error: The configured driver wasn't found. Either the necessary driver modules wasn't loaded, the name was misspelled, or it was a misconfiguration. (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Console, interface IConsole

How to set the correct Driver value expected ?

Thank you for your response.
UFO
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian, Ubuntu, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

Re: Routing Sound on multiple sound cards

Post by UFO »

I just ran into the same error. In my case it happened because the audio for the specific VM was not enabled, and I was still trying to set the host audio device (DirectSound/Windows in my case). Enabling audio for the VM fixed it.