How to access virtual host from another machine?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mat1_8

How to access virtual host from another machine?

Post by mat1_8 »

Hi,

I am going to install Ubuntu server and would like to make it accessible for users within our network environment. What can I do to make it accessible within the network please? Bridged networking is not allowed in our network environment so that is out of the question. I have done NAT but is still does not work since cannot ping the Ubuntu virtual machine. Thanks for your help.
mat1_8

Re: How to access virtual host from another machine?

Post by mat1_8 »

bump
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mat1_8 wrote:Bridged networking is not allowed in our network environment so that is out of the question.
So, if the guest VM is not allowed in the network, how do you think the network can see it? Think of it as a physical computer. If it is isolated, it is isolated.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

As socratis said, think of it as a normal networking problem using physical machines and physical networks.

If you cannot connect directly to the server from the LAN, you only option is to use port forwarding in NAT to redirect traffic reaching the host to the server behind NAT.
Bill