Folder Sharing Permission : 4.3.10r93012 w4.3.11.93070 addon

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MikeZ

Folder Sharing Permission : 4.3.10r93012 w4.3.11.93070 addon

Post by MikeZ »

I'm new to VirtualBox,
I have installed 4.3.10r93012 on Windows7-32bit Host (Lenovo T60 - T2400 Dual Core 1.83Ghz / 3Gb ram).
I have also updated the VBOXadditions to 4.3.11.93070 and installed into the Ubuntu1204LTS virtual machine.

In Windows I created a folder in C:\ubuntushare and placed a text file in the folder.
I right clicked the C:\ubuntushare folder and turned on sharing for everyone with full read/write permissions.
In the VirtualBox Manager Settings Shared Folders I added C:\ubuntushares to the Machine Folders with
Automount enabled and Access Full.

After full host and guest os restart I launching VirtualBox manager as adminstrator to insure full possible permissions.
Ubuntu1204LTS boots up nicely, time is current, inernet access available all is good.

In virutal Ubuntu launched Home Folder, File System, anc clicked Media Folder, displays
sf_ubuntushare and VOXADDITIONS_4.3.11_93070 folders.

Double clicking sf_ubuntushare to see if I have access to the text file in C:\ubuntushare pops up an error window:
The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of
"sf_ubuntushare".

Right clicking the sf_ubuntushare folders for Properties and looking at Permissions it states owner is root
with Folder access to Create and delete Files, Groups is vboxsf with folder access to Creat and delete files,
and "you are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions". The Basic properties state the sf_ubuntushare
is a type folder(inode/directory) and Contents: unreadable, location /media and volume: unkown.

I'm sure there is a setting or command I haven't set or configured properly, any insights? Thank You
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Folder Sharing Permission : 4.3.10r93012 w4.3.11.93070 a

Post by Perryg »

MikeZ

Re: Folder Sharing Permission : 4.3.10r93012 w4.3.11.93070 a

Post by MikeZ »

Thank You Perryg, Problem solved, ubuntushare folder can now open and I have access to the text file within it.

Re-reading the "Note:" in the Automatic Mounting section of the manual forced me to notice the following:
"Access to auto-mounted shared folders is only granted to the user group vboxsf"

I launched into the terminal in the ubuntu guest os and typed: sudo su
at the # prompt I typed: usermod -a -G vboxsf mike

which added mike (me) to the user group vboxsf

I restarted ubuntu and navigated back to the media, sf_ubuntushare folder and lo and behold mike.txt file was readable!
ruddykp

Re: Folder Sharing Permission : 4.3.10r93012 w4.3.11.93070 addon

Post by ruddykp »

Thanks MikeZ and Perryg!! this resolved my issue...