Discuss the 4.2.10 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 4.2.10 release

Post by mpack »

We don't encourage people to download VirtualBox from any site but here, so keeping those other sites informed about updates is probably not a priority either.
wroot

Post by wroot »

Ok, what about the scrollbox? It is really annoying, especially if i use the last VM in the list and when i launch Manager next time it show a few last VMs and then a blank gap. It looks like maybe it want to show all the deleted VMs i had, but shows them as a blank space on the bottom?
wmeyer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by wmeyer »

I have been running 4.2.6 on my Windows 7 host, and no problems. I am now trying to install VirtualBox-4.2.10-84105-Win, and it proceeds as far as the dialog with the progress bar, and sits there for several minutes. Eventually, I do get a Windows security dialog which indicates that it is actually build 84104, and I click OK. Then I am back to the progress dialog, and a message saying it is removing applications. Once again, minutes pass, with no activity. My machine is an i7 with 32GB of RAM. I have seen a similar issue in VBox years ago, on XP, and a slower machine, but not recently, and not previously on this machine.

Oh, and if I Cancel, that appears also to need several minutes to complete, if it will.

I have rebooted and tried again. Same behavior persists. And when I say "minutes", I mean truly, several minutes. Other than reverting to an older version, any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@wmeyer. Is this the old one about the "VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet" network adapter hunting for a connection and of course not finding one? If so, just find its network icon on the taskbar and disable it. Remember to enable it the hosts Device Manager before running VirtualBox. This has been around forever, it isn't a 4.2.10 regression.
wmeyer

Post by wmeyer »

@mpack: I don't know. I looked for the icon, and did not find it. I have now been waiting >3 minutes on a Cancel, and may need to reboot to try again. Ah, sweet success! It finally announced Finish.

If it is a known problem, I am puzzled as to why it comes and goes. As I said, I have not previously seen it on this machine, though I have been updating VBox here for the life of this machine (> 2 years ).

I disabled the "VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet" network adapter in the Device Manager, and have started the installation again. So far, it does not look promising. Another >3 minute wait with no progress change, so perhaps the adapter is not the problem?

...Cancel took >5 minutes. Perhaps I will just wait for the next release, and hope it works.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

wmeyer wrote:I disabled the "VirtualBox Host Only Ethernet" network adapter in the Device Manager
That isn't what I do. I wait until the installation stalls, then I look for the icon on the taskbar, verify that it does represent the VirtualBox Host-Only network, right click it and disable it. The installation completes immediately. I then open Device Manager and enable it again, before running VirtualBox.
wmeyer

Post by wmeyer »

mpack wrote:
I wait until the installation stalls, then I look for the icon on the taskbar, verify that it does represent the VirtualBox Host-Only network, right click it and disable it.
In my case:
a) the installation stalls immediately.
b) the icon never appears

This time, I tried using the control panel network settings to disable the VirtualBox Host-Only network. Three minutes or so later, Windows asked whether I wanted to permit the installation to proceed. I approved, and it now claims to be removing applications, though there is nothing actually happening. Perhaps I will again be asked for permission? No, after about 7 minutes, I looked up and found the progress bar at about 50% (it had been at zero a minute earlier), however, it is not moving, and there is almost no activity on the task manager. OK, another 5 minutes or so, and it is proceeding. It reported being unable to remove the "Oracle VM VirtualBox.lnk", which I removed by hand. But for all that, the status is still at about 50%.

It seems to me that there may be some tasks on which it is running afoul of Windows 7 security, but I have no idea why it should wait several minutes to let me know that. I began this installation at about 15:50... it is now 16:13, and I am still at 50% on the progress bar. At 16:15, copying new files.... Status now at about 85%. But apparently holding, again at 16:16. At 16:22, there was a flicker in the text, as though something new was happening, but I did not catch it. At about 16:30, it seems to have killed all network operations. 16:36, and installation reports complete.

Seems a bit excessive. :lol: Is there a batch file which would do the installation with logging enabled? If so, I would be prepared to do this again and provide the log.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Sounds to me like you have resource problems, e.g. no memory, or something hogging a humungous amount of CPU.
wmeyer

Post by wmeyer »

mpack wrote:
Sounds to me like you have resource problems, e.g. no memory, or something hogging a humungous amount of CPU.
Well no. I have 32GB of RAM, and looking in Task Manager, I see an abundance of unconsumed RAM and almost no CPU activity.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, that CPU/IO time isn't being eaten by Pixies.
wmeyer

Post by wmeyer »

Well, that CPU/IO time isn't being eaten by Pixies.
No, but your assumption that CPU time is eaten is not supported by available evidence. Moreover, numerous earlier versions installed to this same system without any such misbehavior.
wroot

Post by wroot »

wroot wrote:Ok, what about the scrollbox? It is really annoying, especially if i use the last VM in the list and when i launch Manager next time it show a few last VMs and then a blank gap. It looks like maybe it want to show all the deleted VMs i had, but shows them as a blank space on the bottom?
scrollbar disappears if i minimize and then bring back the main window
lokiare

Post by lokiare »

The most recent release on the website gives me an install error about a .cab file being corrupt or missing. Does anyone know which is the latest working version?

Edit: The message it gives is:

The cabinet file 'common.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Edit2: Windows version.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »