Get a Virus on the Host while using Internet over NAT??

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
docdidi69

Get a Virus on the Host while using Internet over NAT??

Post by docdidi69 »

Hi there,

at first: my english isn't the best in world. So please be tolerant to a young german guy ;-)
Now my questions:

I'm using VirtualBox on a Win XP Prof. host and a Linux-guest (Ubuntu 7.04). And VirtualBox is the fastest FREE Virtual Machine I ever tested!

It's my first try to test out how I can get a better secured internet connection (e.g. online-banking, ...) without be aware of viruses, keylogger-programs and so on.
I've got a general question about the use of a Virtual Machines:
I establish an internet connection on my host and using this connection over NAT to bring it to my Linux-guest machine. But what about the security?
Question (1): Can a keylogger log my keyboard-inputs in my virtual machine?
(2): What about an infection of the host-system while i'm surfing the internet in my guest-machine with my host-established connection? Can a virus infect VirtualBox and try to corrupt my virtual machines?
(3): Is it possible to use my Intel Centrino WLAN-card in my Linux-guest without establishing a connection from my host? Then the answer is yes, how can i realize it? (Bridging is not possible, because WLAN-cards can't be bridged under Windows.)

Thanks for your answer(s).
bodhi.zazen
Volunteer

Re: Get a Virus on the Host while using Internet over NAT??

Post by bodhi.zazen »

docdidi69 wrote:Hi there,

at first: my english isn't the best in world. So please be tolerant to a young german guy ;-)
Now my questions:

I'm using VirtualBox on a Win XP Prof. host and a Linux-guest (Ubuntu 7.04). And VirtualBox is the fastest FREE Virtual Machine I ever tested!

It's my first try to test out how I can get a better secured internet connection (e.g. online-banking, ...) without be aware of viruses, keylogger-programs and so on.
I've got a general question about the use of a Virtual Machines:
I establish an internet connection on my host and using this connection over NAT to bring it to my Linux-guest machine. But what about the security?
First, welcome :)
Question (1): Can a keylogger log my keyboard-inputs in my virtual machine?
Probably, at least I would presume so.
(2): What about an infection of the host-system while i'm surfing the internet in my guest-machine with my host-established connection? Can a virus infect VirtualBox and try to corrupt my virtual machines?
Well, err, yes and no ...

Windows viruses do not run on Linux. BUT on common problem is you can download a file onto Linux and transfer the file to windows (via samba, folder sharing, flash drive, etc) and thus potentially circumvent your windows antivirus ...

So, scan all files before you transfer to windows.

Other then shared folders there is almost no interaction between guest and host.

Security was one of several reasons I switched to Linux. You will increase security if you use a Linux host and windows guest. Keep the window guest away from the internet.

If you can not do that, at least replace IE with Firefox and Outlook with Thunderbird. Then get 1 decent antiviral, make a non-admin account for daily use, 2-3 spy ware scanners (IMO the one from Microsoft does not count), and a 3rd party firewall (again IMO the one from Microsoft does not count).

(3): Is it possible to use my Intel Centrino WLAN-card in my Linux-guest without establishing a connection from my host? Then the answer is yes, how can i realize it? (Bridging is not possible, because WLAN-cards can't be bridged under Windows.)

Thanks for your answer(s).
I only know how to do this on a Linux host ... Or at least I think I can, send me the hardware and I will tweak it :)
If is a virtual machine, is it still broken ?
docdidi69

Re: Get a Virus on the Host while using Internet over NAT??

Post by docdidi69 »

Hi bodhi.zazen,

thanks for your answers. You offered me to show how i can bridge a wlan-card on a windows host?
Ok, my wlan-card is an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter.
It's an integrated card in my notebook.
I searched the internet and didn't found any positive answers for my problem, but - good luck to you! I think, many other people in this forum want to know, how to bridge a wlan-card under windows.

Have a nice day,

docdidi69.
bodhi.zazen
Volunteer

Post by bodhi.zazen »

If is a virtual machine, is it still broken ?