Minimize/Restore all VBOX windows simultaneously

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mynickname

Minimize/Restore all VBOX windows simultaneously

Post by mynickname »

Hi,

i am using VBOX on a Win7 x64 Machine with a 3-Monitor Setup. I am also using some VM's which use all those 3 Monitors.

As VBox treats every monitor as separate window, i need to minimize all them separately, but more annoyingly i need to restore them also. latter is a bit of a hurdle, because you need to see which window i which monitor, because clicking a 2nd time on the taskbar minimizes the same window when i already restored it.

Does anyone know a solution to that? (Hotkey) Minimize/Restore all VBox Client-Windows?
I am also fine with a Windows utility which would add this context menu functionality to the VM-Host.

thanks guys,
Hazrelle

Re: Minimize/Restore all VBOX windows simultaneously

Post by Hazrelle »

Hi,

I have the same issue and found your very old question :)
I have multiple physicals monitor and I bind multiple virtual monitors of a VM on them.
But switching from host applications to VM and inversely is sometime painful (depending the activity).

I've published a small utility on Github: Chrysalit ShowVM
I've a shortcut pinned on the taskbar (with a nice icon) launching a cmd file with the ShowVM.exe commands I want to restore VM's windows.
Nothing is displayed the cmd file is launched as minimized, but ALL VM's windows are displayed quickly maximized on their bounded physical monitor.

VirtualBox is not really responsible on how Windows OS manage the program's windows.
It may be possible to have a hidden VM main window that create visible child windows (but no icon on taskbar?) for the VM's monitor so that only the main window icon is displayed in the taskbar.
But copy/paste between host and VM would be painful ..
This may be an option to activate, but probably too many work for few benefits.

Cheers
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Minimize/Restore all VBOX windows simultaneously

Post by scottgus1 »

Hazrelle, we have a 3rd-party app section where user utilities can be posted. See viewforum.php?f=32. If you can re-write your post on that subforum so it isn't referring to an older topic, but explains by itself what your app does, the users can find it better.

Posts in that forum have to be moderator-approved, so it won't show the moment you post it, but we'll look it over and get it ready for viewing.

BTW, I could not find your "Chrysalit ShowVM" on Github.