virtualbox.org switching to single sign on

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: virtualbox.org switching to single sign on

Post by Perryg »

I believe the nick name should have been tied to the email address you used before. Had you used this nick before the change over?
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

Ah, all fixed now.

Apparently BOTH forum and bug tracker accounts were with ONE email/SSO, and once I signed in using THAT account I have my nick-name correct for both.

The SSO account when I had the problem I used for Oracle support some time ago, and forgot I had two SSO accounts...
thany

Post by thany »

It eliminates the risk of account information theft in the case someone manages to break in.
Because Oracle's single signon is completely unhackable? :?
It actually introduces the risk of compromising both environments when (not if) the OSS system gets broken into.
I'm probably running the latest everything. Yolo.
robatino

Post by robatino »

I created a SSO account when it was first required. A short time ago, I had to change emails, so went to Oracle's site, logged in, and changed username (I was forced to use IE on XP due to a claim that I was running a popup blocker on Firefox, even after I disabled it, but whatever). I can go to https://forums.virtualbox.org/ , login with my SSO, and it shows me logged in as "robatino". So far so good. But if I go to https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11529 , it shows me logged out. If I log in again using exactly the same creds, it says "Specify nick name for this SSO account", and if I fill in "robatino" with the password, it says "Error Nick name robatino is already associated with a different user." I tried to use either the old email or "robatino" as the username and neither work. The password was not changed. So AFAICT there is only one SSO account, but I now cannot post a followup to my own bug using the same nickname.

Edit: Also, I didn't get email for the last comment to that bug, so I suspect some email notifications are not working. I'll check this thread in case it's not working here either.

Edit: I also agree with what thany said. I see no way that SSO can increase security. Decrease, certainly. Given how poorly Oracle has implemented this, I'm not surprised they'd think it's a good idea, though. I use a password manager and always use different username/password pairs for different sites when possible.

Edit: I AM getting email notifications for new messages in this forum, just not for the bug tracker, so only that account seems to be broken, although before the email change, I was able to use the same SSO account to access both.
robatino

Post by robatino »

I filed an Oracle ticket
Recently, I changed the username/email of my SSO account (with nickname "robatino") from "[old email]" to "[new email]". This still works properly when logging into the VirtualBox forums - it shows me logged in as "robatino". However, when I attempt to log into the VirtualBox bug tracker, it immediately asks me for a nickname, and when I attempt to use "robatino", it says "Error Nick name robatino is already associated with a different user." even though it is not. (Before the email change, the one SSO worked for accessing both the forums and the bug tracker.) Note: This is a followup to [ticket number] - Account Helpdesk Request_15-MAR-13 Since then I was able to narrow down the problem. Also see my post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46528&start=45#p251514 in the VirtualBox forums.
and they closed it with the reply
Thank you for contacting us. The Support team to which you have raised the ticket deals with the SSO login issues. For the issue which you have encountered, please contact the Administrator of the 'https://www.virtualbox.org/' site. They should be able to assist you further.
Is this in fact correct? I thought the failure of SSO to work properly with the same nickname for both the forum and the bug tracker would be an SSO issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes it is. I will forward your request to an administrator. They should contact you as soon as they have resolved the issue.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Technically speaking it's an application integration problem - OSSO only takes care of secure user authentication (with the positive side effect that even if someone would break into *.virtualbox.org there would be no way to steal identities). The nickname handling is specific (and unfortunately different) for www and forums. Apparently you're running into unintentional behavior differences which probably means we have to make small changes to the OSSO integration on www.

The Oracle SSO support people won't be able to help, because the problem is outside their control and they gave you the right answer (they could've passed it to us internally, but I never saw that happen).
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Fixed the problem for user robatino, however I discovered that there's a generic problem lurking. No idea why no one else reported it so far. Have to see how fast we can make the OSSO username change work properly with www.virtualbox.org.
robatino

Post by robatino »

Confirmed fix for me, thanks.
aztrix
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by aztrix »

Howzit Folks?

How do I link my virtualbox a/c to single sign on a/c?

Cheers
Aztrix
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If you're here, and able to post the question, then you already did.
Giangi
Guest OSses: XP, Seven, Win10

Post by Giangi »

klaus wrote:Technically speaking it's an application integration problem - OSSO only takes care of secure user authentication (with the positive side effect that even if someone would break into *.virtualbox.org there would be no way to steal identities). The nickname handling is specific (and unfortunately different) for www and forums. Apparently you're running into unintentional behavior differences which probably means we have to make small changes to the OSSO integration on www.

The Oracle SSO support people won't be able to help, because the problem is outside their control and they gave you the right answer (they could've passed it to us internally, but I never saw that happen).
I am in the same scenario, I have changed my email address on OSSO and now I cannot re-use my previous nickname... I have already sent many PMs (to you too) but no one has resolved my problem... :(
Details if ever needed: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58169

It's a real nightmare...
Giangi
Guest OSses: XP, Seven, Win10

Post by Giangi »

Giangi wrote:I am in the same scenario, I have changed my email address on OSSO and now I cannot re-use my previous nickname... I have already sent many PMs (to you too) but no one has resolved my problem... :(
Details if ever needed: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58169
It's a real nightmare...
I just would like to un-thank everybody who didn't help me solving this problem. :evil:
I have solved it by myself reverting to the previous email registered with Oracle SSO.
It's embarassing the Oracle's willing-to-help... :?
AnrDaemon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows

Post by AnrDaemon »

Unable to use that ASSO in Opera.
Clicking "login" redirect me to "login.oracle.com" with a constant
Error

System error. Please re-try your action. If you continue to get this error, please contact the Administrator.
with no mention of how, or where I can contact these ephemeral administrators.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Your issue really has nothing to do with these forums. If you have a problem with the Oracle SSO site then you need to go get support from them. The only thing this site does is check that you're logged in.