running winxp as guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
wdhpr
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Mint

running winxp as guest

Post by wdhpr »

I'm fairly new to VirtualBox and was wondering if were to make an image of winxp could I migrate that image to removable media I then I could run that image on another pc that has VirtualBox installed?

The reason I'm asking is I am going to attempt this using Paragon's Go Virtual http://www.paragon-software.com/news.ht ... &year=2010
supposedly I would be able to do this as per Paragon's Go Virtual web page:
Scenario 3: Put your PC in your pocket, use it anywhere and anytime

It is very convenient and handy to use your favorite software with all data at any computer. Now it became possible with wide implementation of virtual environments. All that you want to do is migrate your system into a virtual machine, place it on any removable media and run this machine at any computer, which has virtualization software installed. Just obtain an external USB hard drive and use it as storage for your virtual environment – your computer is in your pocket.
This wouldn't work because as I understand it, when Windows is activated on a PC it keeps a record of the hardware it's running on. Then, if any major components are changed it can recognise this and de-activate. Designed to prevent people installing a single copy of Windows on multiple PC's (as per licence agreement).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: running winxp as guest

Post by mpack »

Forget Paragon Go Virtual. Just use google to search these forums, using terms "P2V" and "site:forums.virtualbox.org".