Error Upon Starting Ubuntu Guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Pohutukawa

Error Upon Starting Ubuntu Guest

Post by Pohutukawa »

Host: Vista Home Premium
Guest: Ubuntu 704
VM app: Virtual Box 1.3.8

I have some experience using VMware Workstation, setting up, and running Linux and Unix VMs on XP and Vista hosts. I mention that because that's my context.

Now, I'm trying Virtual Box.

I attempted to set up Ubuntu 704. I created the setup using the default values. I started Ubuntu from an ISO image file.

Upon starting Ubuntu, I get an error message in a blank grey box in the upper left corner of the Ubuntu window. Then, Nautilus invokes, afterwhich the grey box indicates:

There was an error starting the GNOME Setting Daemon. Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

Did no receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote applicatoin did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME wil still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Basically, I cannot do anything further with the Ubuntu VM.

Do you have any idea what I need to do? I've never seen this time of error, and I've run various flavors of Ubuntu for some time.
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I use Ubuntu 7.04 on Virtual Box 1.3.8 on Windows XP SP2 and it is working well. Maybe you also have dual core CPU and have some strange problems. Try reading post "Loading please wait" on Ubuntu VirtualBox on Wind. Don't know if this would help, but I suggest you try out.
Hope this helps,
Abcuser
Pohutukawa

Post by Pohutukawa »

Thanks. I think I missed something. Yes, the CPU is a "Core 2 Dual". Is that supposed to be a problem with Virtual Box?

I'll have a look at the linked article. Thanks.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

You might also want to try increasing the RAM allocated to the guest. BTW, the dual core problems should be fixed in the next release (and current SVN).
Don

Post by Don »

For what it's worth I tried to boot SLAX from a liveCD ISO in Virtual Box on a Vista Business machine and it crashed the whole computer. The same ISO boots fine in VMWare, and Virtual Box works fine with a Win2K guest. Thus I conclude maybe there's a problem with:

Vista Host OS + Virtual Box + Linux guest

With SLAX the problem occurs before it loads X-windows, possibly while autodetecting the hardware.

Posted this on the Virtual Box bugtracker but it hasn't been picked up.