Discuss the 4.0.6 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Discuss the 4.0.6 Release

Post by frank »

Replaced the Windows build (new revision is 4.0.6 r71416). This build should provide the old behavior. That old code is still buggy and will be fixed in one of the next releases but for now it should do it as it behaves exactly like older versions.
ViEm
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Win2k, WinXP, Debian, FreeBSD

Post by ViEm »

On Debian Squeeze with fresh 4.0.6 installation it is sufficient to add user to vboxusers group, no udev manipulations or smth else required. VM becomes configurable without that USB subsystem errors.

Host OS: Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.1 Squeeze, 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel via official repository, dkms installed, VirtualBox official repo added. Guest OS tested: Win2000 Prof SP4, WinXP Prof SP3, WinXP Prof x64 SP2.
EGP
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Discuss the 4.0.6 Release - Fatal Install Error

Post by EGP »

Hi, I tried to upgrade by virtualbox from an earlier 4.0.x release to 4.0.6 on an Windows 7 64Bit host. During intallation, I get a message that says there has been a fatal install error but no explanation on what it was. I rebooted several times, I tried to reinstall 4.0.4 and now the same thing happens. I have run the install as administrator and I have found a left over USB directory and deleted it, still no good.

I cannot find the install logs to see what is happening.

Suggestions please, my system is down.
neanderthal
Guest OSses: Win7, WinXP, Linux

Post by neanderthal »

Frank Mehnert wrote:Replaced the Windows build (new revision is 4.0.6 r71416). This build should provide the old behavior. That old code is still buggy and will be fixed in one of the next releases but for now it should do it as it behaves exactly like older versions.
Frank,
it looks like the new release is working fine for me, thanks!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Martin wrote:Fedora 14 64bit repository has a problem:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Still not working. Is there an official way to report repository problems?
efraty
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: FreeBSD

Post by efraty »

adding the user to vboxusers group did solve the problem for me. thanks for your help! :D
resendesw
Guest OSses: Windows XP,7

Post by resendesw »

I have to agree with everyone. The 4.0.6 release does have USB issues. I installed r71416 as was recommended but the extension pack is still 71344. Is there a newer pack or do we use the 4.0.4 version? The instructions are confusing (adding user to vboxuser, but only works under Linux Hosts, etc). I would be willing to help work as far as testing if we could get some "formal" testing group.
trucbidule
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: linux - windows

Post by trucbidule »

USB error under Ubuntu 10.10. Solved here.

What I did :
  • Reinstall 4.0.6 (I did downgrade to 4.0.4 that was working fine)
  • Update with the latest extension pack
  • (Re?) Add my user to the vboxusers group
  • Restart (to make the groupe add effective, I could have logged out and back in to perform this)
The problem is fixed for me now. Thanks for your help guys!
resendesw
Guest OSses: Windows XP,7

Post by resendesw »

Yes the fix for Linux host/Windows Guest works great :)

I decided to do more testing. I uninstall all versions of VirtualBox. Removed left over directories. Cleaned the registry of old VirtualBox key (yes there were left overs, big surprise--Thanks Microsoft) :)

I then did a "fresh" install 4.0.4 with extension pack. USB worked (Did get an error when the Ubuntu guest started) unplugged and inserted USB again fixed it
I then uninstalled 4.0.4 and installed 4.0.6 71344 as recommended (and extension) USB worked!!
I then uninstalled 4.0.6 71344 and used the latest version on the website (71416) its the same extension pack...USB worked!!

I cant remember if I was just upgrading the software or if I had done a add/remove first. Perhaps the orphaned directories or registry were hosing it. Either way try this out and see if it works for you.

HTH :)
borut
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by borut »

The fix 4.0.6-71416-Win for Windows Hosts works good both for host WinXP and for guest W2K:

I have only installed 4.0.6-71416-Win over 4.0.6-71344-Win - no VB uninstall, no booting of host, no re-installation of extension pack and no re-installation of guest additions (these all were done before, during 4.0.6-71344-Win installation) .

Result: Now even after starting and closing VB for many times, as well as starting guest for many times, either from the VB, or alone, USB functions as expected in both host and guest.

Frank, thank you very much for 71416.

Best regards,
Borut
hammerhead1024
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS

Post by hammerhead1024 »

I have a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit host and a reboot fixed the problem. Thanks.
billgood
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: win7-64 enterprise

Post by billgood »

Win7 64 bit on a Solaris 11 express host. Using the host dvd drive caches the cd disk. Eject and replace with a different cd, contents of the first cd are still displayed. Use host io caching is turned off.
billgood
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: win7-64 enterprise

Post by billgood »

Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on a Solaris 11 express host. Using the host dvd drive caches the cd disk. Eject and replace with a different cd, contents of the first cd are still displayed. Use host io caching is turned off.
After the first eject from the guest os, the second cd appears in the solaris host and the cache of the first cd appears in the guest os. VB still shows the host dvd drive as selected.
marco

Post by marco »

Some seem to be experiencing another non-trivial issue affecting this release:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41079
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

I now pinned my problems down and found:

VM's get corrupted during s2ram (kernel-suspend) on Squeeze 6.0.1.. Details see here:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41181

Since years VBox and my hardware reliable perform s2ram and resume with VM's up and running.
Downgrading to VBox 4.0.4 solved all the troubles and s2ram works fine even with 2 or 3 VM's up and running.
I've now to restore my *.vdi from backup, because I am not sure whether the images got corrupted during the 4.0.6 usage.

I have apt-pinned VBox 4.0.4 for the time beeing.

Best regards,
Ingo