Discuss the 4.0.6 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mmorris

Re: Discuss the 4.0.6 Release

Post by mmorris »

I was able to resolve the problem looking at what people were saying about: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-vboxdrv.rules

My follows. Note I did not modify mine at all.

Code: Select all

KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0600"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", RUN="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass} vboxusers"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", RUN="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN="/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
I noticed the group vboxusers . Long ago you had to add your username to vboxusers, but I had not done so in 4.0.4 and previous. So for giggles I typed: groups

and low and behold, I was not a member of vboxusers. I added my self to the vboxusers group (sudo adduser <username> vboxusers) and rebooted ... presto ... all is good. Again I did not modify /etc/udev/rules.d/10-vboxdrv.rules

Mike

>Host: Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit - kernel 2.6.35-28-generic
>Guest: Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit
>
>VirtualBox 4.0.4 + VirtualBox 4.0.2 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack ==> no error, USB devices work
>VirtualBox 4.0.6 + VirtualBox 4.0.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack ==> NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005), USB devices do not work
>
>Note the error shows up when clicking "Settings" in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.
>
>I am using the Synaptic Package Manager, does anyone know how to tell it to revert back to 4.0.4?
>
>Mike
ioan
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by ioan »

solution for USB problem on VirtualBox 4.0.6 ( NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005) ) for me was adding my 'ioan' user to vboxusers group:
usermod -a -G vboxusers ioan

it's strange but i'm was used virtualbox few years without adding any users to vboxusers group (or my account was removed from vboxusers group during upgrade - my os is ubuntu).
qkb
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win7, Debian

Post by qkb »

Host: WinXP SP3, different guests, installed VB 4.0.6 + ext-pack and there were serious USB problems:
1. I could not attach any USB device to any host ('Host-Home' --> 'Devices' --> 'USB devices' menu is a tiny dot instead of menu.
2. USB on host stopped working after running/stopping any VM! Both USB mouse and few USB flash disks were undetected by the system. The problem disappeared immediately when I uninstalled 4.0.6, I did not even have to restart Windows.

Reverted back to 4.0.4 :(
ju_wien
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Win XP Pro

Post by ju_wien »

Same USB-problem here. Host = Debian squeeze 64 bit, guest = win xp pro. (My USB scanner worked like a charm up to the upgrade)

Virtualbox was shut down, while I upgraded (via apt-get
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian squeeze contrib )

I tried to install the vbox-extensions again because I thougth that this might fix the problem, but got a warning that the files I was going to overwrite were newer than the "new" files. So I aborted the reinstallation of vbox-extension.

Question: how can I revert to v 4.0.4 without breaking the system?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@ju_wien ,

Download the 4.0.6 Extension Pack and install. http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
ess
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by ess »

ioan wrote:solution for USB problem on VirtualBox 4.0.6 ( NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005) ) for me was adding my 'ioan' user to vboxusers group:
:idea: Works for me, too. No more error when clicking Settings, and USB devices are available in the Devices menu again. Whew! Thanks, everyone.
ju_wien

Post by ju_wien »

Thanks. I have just found your posting on the bottom of page 1 of this thread. It worked! (Download new extension pack, move it to the correct folder, start VBox and Win XP, Install/upgrade Guest Additions. Shut down Win XP, reboot the host, start VBox and Guest)

Maybe it would work without rebooting thg host, if we knew which module exactly has to be loaded.

Would be great to have not only the VirtualBox software itself as .deb but also the guest-additions. Then apt-get/dpkg/aptitude could manage it.
marco

Post by marco »

Well, it seems clear that this 4.0.6 release has some serious problems** about USB handling.
Which means that if you are using a well working older version maybe you'd better stay with it until, probably soon, a new release will be available with a proper fix.

**more serious than usual I would say, as USB has always been somehow weak, although overall improved over time.
For example, I've always had problems with my USB mouse (XP x64 host), which very often freezes as soon as I launch VBox Manager itself or when I start a VM or when I stop a VM, with no apparent logical reasons.
ju_wien

Post by ju_wien »

As far as I can see now, there is no technical problem. The only problem is to know that you have to upgrade the extensions, when you upgrade the program.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Fedora 14 64bit repository has a problem:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
zambosky
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP 32

Post by zambosky »

USB problems are not related to guest additions or even extension pack : I updated from 4.0.4, installed both additionals packages and this problem on Host ( and guest, of course) arise just after usual reboot of Windows 7 X64 host O.S.
Repeat : it is not necessary to start the VM for the usb hangs on host, simply start VirtualBox ..
There are many people here with the same problem.. I strongly believe in a fast new release...

Any help appreciated, anyway..
Last edited by zambosky on 26. Apr 2011, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
smartysmart34

Post by smartysmart34 »

I am a bit confused now. There have been quite some posts saying "USB-Problem here as well..." but only a very limited number of People now mentioned that "the fix solved it" for them.
Even more: There are now two possible solutions mentioned here:
"Be member of the vbvoxusers-group" and "Upgrade Extension-Pack".

As my users are always members of the vboxusers group, can I assume that when I upgrade the extension-Pack I should NOT have ANY Problems with USB on a Suse 11.4/64 host?

Kind regards,
Martin
marco

Post by marco »

Moreover, not everybody is using VBox under Linux (where the vboxusers group issue can help).
zapata

Post by zapata »

franck1135 wrote:For usb on linux put in /etc/udev/rules.d/ on name 10-vboxdrv.rules

KERNEL=="vboxdrv", NAME="vboxdrv", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="add", RUN="/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass}"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN="/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh $major $minor $attr{bDeviceClass}"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ACTION=="remove", RUN="/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", RUN="/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh --remove $major $minor"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0664"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0664"
Thanks. This solved the USB problem for me on Fedora 14 (x86_64). I only had to run ':%s/\/opt\/VirtualBox/\/usr\/share\/virtualbox/g' (vim).
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

There should be no regressions with the USB access on Linux hosts. Except that now it is mandatory to be the member of the vboxusers group because VirtualBox 4.0.6 only checks for devices in /dev/vboxusb and /proc/bus/usb. The latter directory is only available on more ancient Linux distributions.

But there is definitely a regression on Windows hosts. After a reboot, the first time the VBoxSVC daemon is started (e.g. by opening the GUI), the access to the USB devices should work. When VBoxSVC terminates and is started a 2nd time, the USB subsystem cannot be accessed anymore. This is indeed a regression.