Inaccessible ('Nicht zugreifbar') / 0x80BB0001

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mwildam

Re: Inaccessible ('Nicht zugreifbar') / 0x80BB0001

Post by mwildam »

mpack wrote:No. Export/Import has its own risks.
I tried it with one machine and I have seen that after import the harddisk file is not vdi any more - got vmdk. :-(
mpack wrote:On the other hand, occasionally backing up your VMs (straight copy, not export) is a good idea. This is easier if you use VirtualBox v4.0 or later and/or avoid the use of snapshots.
Although I do plain backups (which indeed helped me here - btw also update your ~/.virtualbox folder), I could not live without snapshots. Problem is that the copy operations take so much time and I need to put them on external HDs because don't have enough place on my internal HD for all the VMs.

Restoring a snapshot on the other hand is fast.

What I did (so far only for machines without existing snapshots - don't know if it works also in those cases):
  1. I took notes about the machine settings (remember to note the MAC addresses of attached network interfaces) and removed them from the listed machines (only remove - not delete the files).
  2. Then I moved the vdi into the appropriate subfolder of the VM (because of old VirtualBox versions stored the vdi not in the vm subfolder) and deleted the old configuration files there.
  3. Went to File->Virtual Media Manager and removed the vdi, which now not found any more (because of old VirtualBox versions stored the vdi not in the vm subfolder).
  4. Then I created a new virtual machine using exactly the same settings and chose to use an existing harddisk (vdi) file instead of creating a new one.
Now I have all config files in new style and hope this will prevent from the problem in the future.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mwildam wrote:
mpack wrote:No. Export/Import has its own risks.
I tried it with one machine and I have seen that after import the harddisk file is not vdi any more - got vmdk. :-(
Precisely, which is IMHO why export/import should not be used for backup. The whole idea of a backup is to preserve a working installation - the last thing you want to do during the backup procedure is change that working installation.
mwildam wrote:I could not live without snapshots
Oh? I and many others manage to live without snapshots, rather well. Why not you?

A clone does everything a snapshot does, while being more space efficient (*) and less easily corrupted. The only thing cloning lacks is direct support in the GUI, which I see is being addressed in the new 4.1.0 beta.

(*) the small initial size of a snapshot is quickly a distant memory, and unlike with clones the earlier incarnations of the current snapshot can't be hived off to secondary storage.
lalebarde

Post by lalebarde »

Hi all,
Same problem for me. I confirm it happens when one upgrades virtualbox :evil: . I have spent a lot of time to try to recover by playing with the xml but I failed and I am very upset :twisted: . Since I have to fully re-install my VM, I take the opportunity to switch to qemu. I don't know if it is better, but it calms me 8) .

This bug is not acceptable from a company like sun :!:

Sorry to be so negative.