Accessing VBoxManage

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rats

Accessing VBoxManage

Post by rats »

Hi, I am new to VB and I am having a hard time.

Can anyone tell me how to access/start VBoxManage. I know it is command line and it in Program Files/InnoTek.

I have VB installed as the host on a Windows XP Pro SR2 machine and Debian Etch as the Guest.

I have tried the only four ways I know to start it.
  • 1. Open Program Files -> InnoTek and double click on VBoxManage;
    2. Open Program Files -> InnoTek, right click on VBoxManage and click on Open; and
    3. Open the CMD prompt and type in the path.
All three methods start VBox Manage, but the black screen opens, script is scrolled down the screen and then the screen closes.

I have tried several downloads and installations of both v1.0.4 and 1.3.8 on two different machines with the same result each time.

I have wasted a lot of time on this, the program had better be worth it.

Thanks,
rats

Post by rats »

I am sorry, I guess I should have waited until I calmed down a bit before I sent the first post.

I did not mention that if I follow the directions I have seen on this forum (for example, to clone a VM: VBoxManage clonevdi (sourcevdi) (targetvdi)) I get a message from Windows that VBox is not a command. I have tried several such examples from the forum with same result- VBoxManage id not a command.

It is really very frustrating when something this simple does not work.

Thanks,
HughJorgan

Post by HughJorgan »

Open a cmd prompt, and cd\ to the Program Files\Innotek Virtual Box directory (if that is where you installed Virtual Box)

Then type in "Vboxmanage <insert the command you want to apply here>" without the quotation marks.

Full details of available commands are in the user manual.

Hope this helps.

Hugh (also a noobie).

PS - the program is well worth the effort!