*Need to mount custom made SD Card*

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
amberkalvin
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: liveandroid; android; chromeos

*Need to mount custom made SD Card*

Post by amberkalvin »

hey guys, sorry if this question has been addressed, i've searched google and here numerous times just can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

this is what i'm doing:

running an androidlive cd in virtualbox from my windows 7 host pc. most of the stuff i was trying to do requires me to have an sd card inserted.

as of right now there is no sd card or anything. i can browse files and see where the card should be but there is nothing there.

i can get online moreso with virtualbox to download apps and what not as compared to the android sdk.

i've tried actually mounting a floppy (my g: drive which was an sd card) and still no luck. anyone have any ideas as to how i could do this?

thanks alot in advance!

Kalvin
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: *Need to mount custom made SD Card*

Post by mpack »

Not knowing what "androidlive" might be, I don't have a clear idea of what your problem is. Does your application require the presence of the SDcard hardware or the SDcard content? The former is not possible in a VM, but the latter is easy: if for some reason you can't create an image of the SDcard then you can mount it in a USB reader accessed directly by the guest.
amberkalvin

Post by amberkalvin »

doesnt help, i tried using a sd card reader and mounting the usb port to the guest os, but it showed up the same way as if i were to just put the sd card into my computer (shows up as drive G:)

but i guess it can't be done

android is the os that is used on the "droid" phone among other smartphones like the htc incredible, samsung moment ect.

but i can get online and download apps but i was wanting to install them from the os itself i have the .apk files.

can't figure out how i can get the .apk files into the guest os.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

amberkalvin wrote:doesnt help, i tried using a sd card reader and mounting the usb port to the guest os, but it showed up the same way as if i were to just put the sd card into my computer (shows up as drive G:)
You mean, the drive shows up in the Windows guest but you can't access the contents using Explorer?

Are you able to read the sdcard content on your host? The only thing that occurs to me is that SD cards are not required to use a filesystem which is supported by Windows! If it isn't using FAT or NTFS then you can't access it using Explorer, but a proprietary app designed to handle that filesystem might still accept it. I'm not saying this is your problem, I'm saying that I would check this next.

But to be clear, putting the SDcard into a host reader is never going to work. Your virtual PC doesn't have an SD card reader, and putting the card in your host reader will be as effective as putting it in the reader of another PC entirely (which in fact is what you are doing). There might be a point if you were thinking of configuring a Shared Folder, but if the filesystem is not accessible by the host then that won't work either.
amberkalvin

Post by amberkalvin »

this is how far i've gotten.

i think i've already said that this is the OS of a phone. the droid phone. and being such there is a directory on the phone considered to be the SD card, but when i go to it it doesn't show anything, and the OS itself won't let me save a file from the web b/c the SD is inaccessible. it says "no SD card Inserted"

so trying to be the genius i am i was successful to ftp from host to guest and vise versa, could see the files from the guest but when i went to "download" them it still said the problem with the SD card not inserted. still stumped, if you have any ideas just let me know as far as i know its a lost cause, lol

not going to stress it anymore, lol i get my phone in like 2 weeks i was just experimenting with apps and what not, but thanks for the input guys!

Kalvin
amberkalvin

Post by amberkalvin »

just kidding about the genius part though, lol
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The amount of help I can offer is limited by my ignorance of Android. I should note that even if you have a version of this OS designed for x86, it has to be designed for legacy PC hardware or it will not run inside a VirtualBox VM. An SD card reader is not part of the legacy PC hardware platform. It sounds like the OS (rather, drivers inside the OS) may be expecting to see an SD chip at a certain IO address range, but finds nothing there because VBox emulates no such chip.
amberkalvin

Post by amberkalvin »

thanks for all the insight on this problem.

i figured out how to mount one on the android sdk emulator rather than a vm, which worked well.

thanks alot again and you guys are awesome for the replies!

Kalvin