VirtualBox Kernel Driver not installed----HELPPPP

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
jcer93705

VirtualBox Kernel Driver not installed----HELPPPP

Post by jcer93705 »

Hi i get this error when i I push start. I have it installed and i can start up the program but when i have already created a vitual disk and so on, then i push start to run it, it comes out this below. Please someone help me. I am using Sabayon Linux 3.4 miniEdition. Gentoo based. Thank you.

This is what comes up

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Re-setup the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root.
VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

Then when I login root on console then i do /etc/init.d/vboxdry setup it shows

localhost james # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module ... [ ok ]
* Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module ... [ ok ]
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module ...
FATAL: Error inserting vboxdrv (/lib/modules/2.6.22-sabayon/misc/vboxdrv.ko): Invalid module format
* modprobe vboxdrv failed

jbaskew

Post by jbaskew »

I recently had the same problem. I can not remember the correct context but I needed the kernel headers and kernel-devl. Also make sure gcc is installed. There is a post on the fedora forums discussing this in more detail. I believe I did yum install kernel-headers, yum install kernel-devl and yum install gcc. After all this was done I ran /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as root and was good to go. Unfortunately I am not in front of my linux box, but post if you have any questions. This should get you started.
jcer93705

Post by jcer93705 »

yea that didn't help me for anything, i am not using fedora but sabayon linux. But thanks nice try.
disi

Post by disi »

did you change your kernel recently?

When you compile the module of Vbox the link in /usr/src should direct to the correct kernel sources.

Please check the link if it is set to your current kernel.

then rerun the setup and the module should get recompiled...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

jcer93705: It seems that you're trying to complite the LKM driver with a different compiler than your kernel.