Questions of a total newbie - anyone who has 5 minutes?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Xenia

Questions of a total newbie - anyone who has 5 minutes?

Post by Xenia »

Hi,

I am totally new to VM. Yet I'll probably have to dive in as I absolutely need to use a few programs that are not yet running on Vista and that do not have a Linux version either.

Prior to actual planning I would however very much appreciate some basic answers to crucial questions to decide weather the expected amount of time and energy will be worth it.

The overall plan:
Host: Windows Vista
Guest: Windows XP (Pro) SP 2

1) The user manual suggests that there might be difficulties in setting up network functions using WLAN. Is there still a way to accomplish such a setup? If not it would most likely mean that I have to dump the whole plan.

2) Network functionality assumed, can applications installed on the guest OS have normal internet updates online? And how about the automatic OS-updates that are performed in a "normal" Windows environment?

3) Probably a very stupid question, still I want to ask:
If there is an image of a hard disk available, created by a program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image (in my case) - could this be of any use to transfer an existing Windows XP - scenario with all its applications and settings to a newly created Windows XP VM? I guess not, that would be too convenient... :wink:

For now and so long,

Xenia
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

1. The host needs Wireless drivers. The guest will be connected, but will see it's network as normal Ethernet.
You just configure your Host normally, and use guest network set to NAT.

2. Both host & guest will have auto updates.

3. In can be used, but not recommended, because solutions such as Ghost are targetted at Real Hardware, and there are more optimal ways to deal with virtual hardware. In short: it should work.

-Technologov
Xenia

Post by Xenia »

Thanks, sounds all 8) and very encouraging.
Technologov wrote: 3. In can be used, but not recommended, because solutions such as Ghost are targetted at Real Hardware, and there are more optimal ways to deal with virtual hardware. In short: it should work.
What would be those more optimal ways to deal with virtual hardware?
I guess you might be talking about images created by VB as opposite to existing images created by True Image e.g.?

Xenia
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Yes, you're right. For virtual hardware it's a whole lot simpler just to save the virtual harddisk somewhere, and deploy as necessary.