VirtualBox on iPod

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tgraupmann
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

VirtualBox on iPod

Post by tgraupmann »

If VirtualBox works on MacOS, is there any work being done to port to iPhone/iPod/iPad?

Essentially in three months I see that's all that's missing from the iPad. VirtualBox needs an Apple Store app. You copy over the guess OS across USB and then run it in VirtualBox.

A guest OS could fit comfortably in 16GB.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: VirtualBox on iPod

Post by stefan.becker »

VBOX only works on x86 Processors. This was so, is so and will ever be so.

Else you must use Emulation of a CPU. And for that you need a modern Multi Core CPU with much Ghtz.

Shortly forget it, its not possible.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

You're looking at the wrong product. You don't need virtualization software, you need emulation software. VirtualBox lets you run more than one OS for the x86 architecture at the same time. You actually want to run an OS under a different architecture from what it's designed to. For that you need something along the lines of QEMU. http://wiki.qemu.org/Main_Page
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Oh no :)

With emulation you can only emulate a defect pc in realtime on such "hardware".

Believe me: No chance.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The RAM requirement should also be considered. The OP suggests that 16GB should be enough for the guest. It terms of disk space that may be true, but (say) a basic XP install needs something like 256MB RAM, ideally at least twice that. I can't find any info on how much RAM an iPad will have, but an iPhone doesn't have that kind of free RAM, and using paged memory will slow things down even more.