Upgrade of iPhone firmware failed, locked out of backup

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.

Upgrade of iPhone firmware failed, locked out of backup

Postby anr » 5. Feb 2010, 22:54

Hi,

I'm running VBox on a Ubuntu 64 host. The guest is Vista Basic Edition.

I mainly use it to manage my iPhone. So far, so good. Today I tried to upgrade to the latest firmware (3.1.3). The upgrade failed with an "unknown error" and the phone stopped working.

VBox won't let me activate the phone as a USB device anymore (the option on the Devices -> USB Devices -> Apple Inc. Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode) menu is greyed out).

I can restore it on another computer running XP on bare metal, but when I try to connect to the VBox guest system to try a restore, the same thing happens.

This restore is important to me because I have some photos and videos that are only backuped up on iTunes (mea culpa).

Any hints on what I could try to make VBox work? Should I try v 3.1.4 beta? Didn't see any USB-related changes...

Many thanks!

--
Adriano
anr

Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Vista Basic Edition

Re: Upgrade of iPhone firmware failed, locked out of backup

Postby anr » 5. Feb 2010, 23:27

For the record, I upgraded to 3.1.4 beta 2 but it didn't solve the problem (usb device still greyed out).
anr

Guest OSses: Windows Vista Basic Edition

Postby jsuereth » 19. Mar 2010, 17:11

I did the same thing. When i tried to mount directly using the VBoxManage command, i got a "This device is exclusively locked by the host" message...
jsuereth

Guest OSses: Windows, Ubuntu

Postby z_kvn » 23. Jun 2010, 06:11

Hi I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and went through a lot of forums and finally got Iphone upgrade work in virtualbox.

1. First I experienced difficulties finding USB at all.

What I did is remove OSE and install the newest version downloaded from Virtualbox.org

cd /tmp
wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... e_vbox.asc
sudo apt-key add oracle_vbox.asc

# add the below to /etc/apt/sources.lis
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lucid non-free

# then update and install
aptitude update
aptitude install dkms virtualbox-3.2

2. Shutdown the virtual machine, go to settings --> usb filter --> create one with only key words Apple Inc. in the Manufacture field.
This is because in the recovery mode, somehow usb device is not recognized due to ID change. Filter by manufacture name will solve the issue.

3. Done, works like in real windows XP
z_kvn

VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

Postby styleruk » 22. Oct 2010, 14:17

Hi
I have similar problem, the iPhone usb is greyed out and therefore I can't select it during upgrade. I deleted all the usb filters and started a new one with just that name and still it gives me a problem. Wish I did not upgrade to 4.1 now, 4.0 went fine but now I have no phone. Tempted to install xp on a different partition to get my phone working again (bloody apple).
The one thing I don't understand in your description is 'delete and reistall OSE?
if you mean VB then I have just upgraded to the latest.

Ubuntu 10.10
VB 3.2.10
styleruk

VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: xp home

Postby styleruk » 22. Oct 2010, 18:42

Ah, just tried to sync with a laptop and it would not work so changed the cable and voila! somehow 4.1os needs a newer cable, I was using an old ipod classic cable. Don't know, someone might read this and have the same problem.
styleruk

VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: xp home

Return to Using VirtualBox