Server 2003 host XP Guest DCHP

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
banders2

Server 2003 host XP Guest DCHP

Post by banders2 »

Hi there. I'm new to the virtual box software but i must say that i'm very impressed with it. Here is my problem though.

I'm at college right now taking an Advanced Network Design class, we are in the midst of making new labs for the class next year. We have a host system running Windows Server 2003 and we made a guest XP Workstation in Virtual Box.

We have already setup Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP on the Server 2003 host machine. Sadly though we have made the address for the DNS server 10.0.2.27. Also the DHCP scope is 10.0.2.1~10.0.2.254. We had done this because it was just simple to do not realizing that Virtual Box uses 10.0.2.2 for its "virtual DCHP" server. The good thing is though when we do an ipconfig/all command, it resolves our DNS server name (badass.net... just being silly). However when we try to ping it, it does not work.

Our main goal is for our Guest XP Workstation to be able to grab an IP address from out Server 2003 Host machine and be able to add it to our badass.net Domain for our Active Directory and use its DNS server. We really do not understand the network configuration you can setup in virtual box. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or answers to our problem.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

If I understand you right, your guest shall be a member of the network the host is connected to. For this you can setup a bridge. Look into the user manual for this.