XP freezes on boot each time (must be reset)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
benfrain.com
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Vista, 7

XP freezes on boot each time (must be reset)

Post by benfrain.com »

Since upgrading to VirtualBox 3.0.12 (from version 2.2.x) my Windows XP virtual machine crashes on boot. Anyone know why?

The issue:
Everytime I start it, it gets past the initial post screen but freezes on the screen with the Windows logo (where the blue bar goes across).

Current Workaround
I work around it by resetting the machine (machine > Reset from the menu) and I am then able to start the machine using the 'last known good configuration' from the Windows menu. However, next time I boot, it freezes again.

Things I have tried
I have tried to disable the audio, up the video memory (and toggled video acceleration), setting a system restore point after booting into 'last known good configuration'

Anyone got any idea why this might be or suggestions on what to try to sort the issue? Thanks in advance...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: XP freezes on boot each time (must be reset)

Post by Perryg »

If this is a 32 bit version, and you have IO APIC enabled when you updated you are trying to install SMP for Windows. Try with IO APIC off and you should be able to recover.
benfrain.com

Post by benfrain.com »

Hi Perryg,

I'm afraid 'Enable IO APIC' isn't ticked (nor has it ever been to my knowledge).

Anything else I can try?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Windows is trying to install something that is not going to work. That is why it locks and you can get it back by doing a system restore.
IO APIC was the culprit for everyone I know so far. You might look and see if the enable VT-x/AMD-v is on. If so try with it off.
benfrain.com

Post by benfrain.com »

Hi Perrg, that was enabled, just tried with it off but unfortunately I get the same problem. Thanks for the suggestions though.
benfrain.com

Post by benfrain.com »

Just a request to see if anyone else has any other suggestions. I have tried running CCleaner to fix any registry issues, tried uninstalling AVG 9 - neither of which had any impact.

It still hangs on every boot unless I choose 'Last Known Good Configuration'
rpmurray
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

When you had VB 2.2.x installed, did you also have the Guest Additions for that version installed in your Windows XP virtual machine? And, if so, did you update the Guest Additions in the VM to the 3.0.12 version when you updated VB?
benfrain.com

Post by benfrain.com »

Hi rpmurray, yes, I installed the latest guest additions but to no avail. I don't have an awful lot on this VM so I'm tempted to just bin it and start afresh :(
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

The problem is that just turning off the IO APIC will not fix the Windows guest. You need to turn it off and then start the guest in safe mode and restore to a date that you know worked.
I had this very thing happen to me a year ago and it did recover the guest. It is the only thing that I know of that will do what you are explaining.
The problem all started when VBox decided to turn on VT-x/AMD-v by default (not sure the exact version) and this created a perfect storm for Windows 32 bit guests. It forced the issue of SMP and this requires a different kernel in the Windows guest. When Windows tries to install the kernel it freaks out the guest and it will only start in safe mode until you either load the proper hal or you fix it.