Cannot use ISO image with VirtualBox 3.1.0

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
prawlings
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: Cannot use ISO image with VirtualBox 3.1.0

Post by prawlings »

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times as well as installing to two separate machines.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

prawlings wrote:I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times as well as installing to two separate machines.
Did you install from the same download, or did you try downloading it again at some point? Curious as to if there might have been a corrupted version that people somehow got.
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

I downloaded directly from the web for the initial install of each system; so a fresh download for each of the two systems. However, when uninstalling/reinstalling, I used the same download.

I have run md5 verification on the downloaded file with sucess.
Last edited by prawlings on 11. Dec 2009, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

I've added a couple of attachments showing the error message recieved from VirtualBox when I attempt to add as ISO image. Hopefully this can help diagnose the problem I'm experiencing.
Error Message from Virtual Box
Error Message from Virtual Box
VBoxError.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
Last edited by prawlings on 14. Dec 2009, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

prawlings wrote:I've added a couple of attachments showing the error message recieved from VirtualBox as well as the Output generated from DebugView when I attempt to add as ISO image. Hopefully this can help diagnose the problem I'm experiencing.
Oh! I assumed you were suffering from the same problem as the OP, but yours is quite obviously a completely different problem and all this discussion about ISO corruption is a red herring. If there was something that VBox didn't like about its own VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file then we would all have encountered that problem, so clearly that is not the issue. The most obvious explanation of your problem is that the file doesn't exist - does it?

When exactly are you encountering this error message?
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

The file does exist. I see encounter the error message whenever I try to add a Cd/DVD Image using Virtual Media Manager. I can browse to the ISO images just fine, but after selecting OK, the error message will pop up.

I originally thought it could be a permissions issue, but I see the same error when running VirtualBox as administrator.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

prawlings wrote:I originally thought it could be a permissions issue, but I see the same error when running VirtualBox as administrator.
Well, if the file exists then it does sound like a permission issue on your host. I can tell you for a fact that VBox has no problem reading the guest additions ISO normally.
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

I can assure you it isn't a permission issue. I'm logged as as Administrator and am even opening the Virtualbox.exe file by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" options.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

prawlings wrote:I can assure you it isn't a permission issue
Well, what do you suggest the reason might be? It isn't that the ISO is corrupt, and it isn't that the ISO isn't compatible with VBox, and it isn't that VBox just can't read ISOs (otherwise we'd all know about it). What does that leave?
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

If I knew what the cause was I wouldn't have gone to the forums. It's not just the guest addition ISO that I'm unable to open, it's any ISO and I'm not the only one to see this.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@prawlings,
Click here http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _3.1.0.iso and download the guest additions again. All indications are that you must have a corrupt version. MD5 does not always mean that the file is intact. You should not use a download manager and if at all possible do not use MS IE either. Use standard HTTP to download it.

Also you need to check the storage section and make sure that the CD/DVD is set to IDE and not SATA. This version is a little more tricky about the storage units.
Attachments
storage.jpg
storage.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 9191 times
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

I downloaded the guest additions ISO again using Mozilla Firefox and verified that the CD/DVD was set to IDE. Sadly, I still see the same error message. @Perryg - Do you have anything else I can try?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

prawlings wrote:It's not just the guest addition ISO that I'm unable to open, it's any ISO and I'm not the only one to see this.
Really? Who else sees this problem? Your problem seems unrelated to others in this thread. The OP and others here had a problem with some ISOs, possibly due to corruption or some standards issue, evidently cured by repacking the ISO. AFAIK no-one else is reporting a problem with all ISOs or even with the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Is there some other thread you are referring to where someone else has your problem?
prawlings

Post by prawlings »

I'm referring someone that I work with that is seeing the same problems.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@prawlings,
The fact that you are having a problem means something is wrong. First was this an upgrade?
If so did you try uninstalling then rebooting and the installing again?
Another thing I would like to know is if you look at the image I sent you, and you attach the iso there and does it show the proper information below it?