Is dual core CPU the same as 2 CPUs in VirtualBox?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Re: Is dual core CPU the same as 2 CPUs in VirtualBox?

Post by MarkCranness »

FrodoHobbits wrote:The zip file seems to be corrupt...
It's not corrupt, it's just strangely built.

Inside the ZIP file is a file 'HALu-0.2.0[1]'. Unzip that to a folder on the guest, then rename it to 'HALu-0.2.0.zip' Unzip that again and you will see the files. I've done that and attached it here, plus instructions translated from Dutch as best I can (Google+).

Make sure you unzip the contents (ALL files in the ZIP file) to a local folder on the guest and make sure that folder does not have spaces in the pathname.
- Known issues:
HALu will not work when installed/copied to a folder with spaces in the pathname.

Some have reported that HALu show no error messages but will fail to change the HAL.
After running HALu and rebooting, check the HAL used to make sure that HALu has changed it.
Desktop > My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Computer (expand tree) > check the text under the 'Computer' node.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
HALu Instructions.txt
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 4630 times
Background: At this link is a utility to change the HAL:
dead external link deleted. Use attachment below instead.
Due to IE compatibility quirks, if you download the HALu file from that link using IE, the file you get appears to be double-zipped. 7Zip can handle it. WinZip I'm not sure about. Download it from below instead to avoid that problem.
Attachments
HALu-0.2.0.zip
(95.34 KiB) Downloaded 6742 times
Last edited by scottgus1 on 24. Feb 2022, 15:39, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Delete dead link
abcuser
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by abcuser »

MarkCranness wrote:Inside the ZIP file is a file 'HALu-0.2.0[1]'. Unzip that to a folder, then rename it to 'HALu-0.2.0.zip' Unzip that again and you will see the files.
Hi,
this is strange, I have downloaded the file from original site and unziped it again. Unzip creates a folder inside it are files - so no problem at all. Maybe there is some kind of a problem with your unzip program. :|

I have also downloaded your zip file which includes two folders (HALu-0.2.0 and subfolder HALu) and then files in it. Strange. You got to have some zip problem or was some download problem.
Regards
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

There is indeed a strange download problem...

If I download with: IE 6 in a VM, or wget, I get a ZIP file as you describe, 97,626 bytes, MD5=79c4f87c351b5e14ca5e6ad0315a6b6e.

If I download with: IE 8 on my host, or wget --header="Accept-Encoding: gzip" ..., I get a 'ZIP' file, 96,327 bytes, MD5=a1866380f2a2ac2cfb2a24af6781b6e8, that 7-Zip identifies as 'Type: 7-Zip.GZIP'... GZIP being an HTTP compression format...
This file is the one that appears to have the contained 'HALu-0.2.0[1]' file.
7-Zip opens it with the above file. pkzip25.exe (old command line) reports: 'PKZIP: (Z152) No CE signature found'.

Looks like an IE 8 problem to me and IE 8 is not un-GZIP'ing the file being sent to it! :shock:

Surely I can't have discovered an IE 8 bug? What else could be going on?
Anybody else using IE 8 care to download the file from here: http://www.hardware.info/downloads/HALu-0.2.0.zip, and tell the MD5? (or filesize or CRC or whatever you can tell)
abcuser
Volunteer

Post by abcuser »

You are correct. I downloaded this zip file using Firefox 3.5.5 and is working fine. But downloading it with IE 8 it just corrupts the file, just like you described in one of previous posts. If zip file downloaded by IE8 is trying to unzip with Windows integrated zip functionality it returns error. If unzipted with 7-zip new file gets created without extension. If renamed to .zip, then file gets correctly unzipped. It looks to me like some bug in IE8.

There are my MD5SUMs on Windows XP SP3.
- zip file downloaded by Firefox 3.5.5 md5sum: 79c4f87c351b5e14ca5e6ad0315a6b6e
- zip file downloaded by Internet Explorer 8: a1866380f2a2ac2cfb2a24af6781b6e8

So don't download the file with Internet Explorer 8. :D
MarkCranness
Volunteer

Post by MarkCranness »

FrodoHobbits
Guest OSses: Windows, QNX & Linux

Post by FrodoHobbits »

abcuser, Thanks for your help :)

Mark, Thanks for the info, didn't realise IE8 was so messed up.
abcuser
Volunteer

Post by abcuser »

FrodoHobbits wrote:Mark, Thanks for the info, didn't realise IE8 was so f%*ked up.
Frodo,
I don't think it is a big problem, just a little bug. If I understand correctly web server compresses file using gzip compression (gzip this is not the same as zip!) and expects that browser will decompress (un-gzip) the file. So zip file is actually one more time compressed with gzip by web server. Browser should un-gzip the file and deliver in this case zip file to the user. But IE8 does not do the following, but instead just leaves the file in gzip format. So Mark has been able to un-compress the compressed file with 7-zip utility that is able to handle multiple compression files (also zip and also gzip). Mark probably thought it is zip file because extension was .zip, but it was actually gzip file which just had zip extension. But 7-zip does not look into extension to determinate the file type, but it looks into file's header where it was gzip compression defined and so it just decompressed the file without any error. But it looks like the zip file lost extension (probably some simple bug), so renaming file to .zip and then un-compress the file with Windows zip utility solves the problem.

But this does not mean that IE8 is not able to correctly download zip files. IE8 correctly downloads zip files if web server does not gzip files before sending them. So it may be also the problem of web server, that sends file in format that browser can't handle. Work-around for this problem is in this case is to web administrators to disable gziping files settings which is most probably set as default settings or disable this settings if IE8 is downloading the file.

There is probably a problem, that web server incorrectly understands the browser request for gzip handling or browser incorrectly requests to accept gziped file. Welcome to the world of non-standard browser behavior. I have red on Microsoft blog, that new version of Internet Explorer 9 (it will be release and the end of next year) will fully support web standards, so it will pass ACID3 web standard test: http://acid3.acidtests.org/ Now IE8 only gets 20% of tests passed. If you look into older versions of IE like IE7 or IE6 they passes even less percent. Firefox 3.5 passes 93%, Google Chrome passes 100% and Apple Safari 100% too.

Back to the topic, I am not sure this is only IE8 problem, I have been seeing notification messages on IBM web pages for some years now, that zip files should not be downloaded with Internet Explorer and so use Firefox instead.

But I have also seen some web pages that does not correctly download PDF by Firefox, but successfully downloads with Internet Explorer. My humble opinion is that web server administrator should check if web pages are working with the most used browsers that visit there web page. It is also a nice practice to offer MD5 checksum for all the files that are offered to download, so user can check if file is correctly downloaded or not. So not only the blame for the browser, but also some blame to web administrators, not doing the job as they should.
Regards