Want: system time to be the same time each time vm starts

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
curt504

Want: system time to be the same time each time vm starts

Post by curt504 »

This feature is useful for running time limited software should it use system clock or filesystem mod dates.

Maybe a clairification: the VM uses the same time setting each time it starts. IE July 7 2006, which is the date I installed my demo software.

I'd like this feature to be automatic or permanent, not by having to revert back.

Preferably not by also freezing filesystem changes too, as role back to checkpoint would do, which is manual prior to each start.

Tnx and RTFM is an ok answer, as I read it and may have missed it.

Great product!

curt
curt504

startup with same time every time

Post by curt504 »

For testing software etc I guess this feature doesn't exist in VB. After reading the user manual in detail I'm quite surprised that there's no way to tell the VM use this system date/time when you startup. This was one of the early ffeatures in VMware testers needed, along with role back or in VMware, a frozen image.

tnx for any hacks or tips to get VB working for me.

curt
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

curt504:
The feature is not supported.

As for hacks: I would install DOS, and set the needed date via autoexec.bat, then setup GRUB for DOS to load the target OS afterward.

The DOS thing could be even installed on separate virtual hard disk to not interfere with your main OS.

Boot will look like:
1. BIOS
2. DOS Hard Disk
3. Autoexec.bat set the time you need
4. Autoexec.bat start GRUB for DOS
5. GRUB will load the Second Hard Disk, with your main OS.

NOTE: VBox may sync time with host from time to time... so I don't know if the above method will work.

-Technologov