Help with snapshots - can you revert? add to the tree?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
remi

Help with snapshots - can you revert? add to the tree?

Post by remi »

The VirtualBox GUI shows snapshots in a tree and implies, to me, that I could do something like this ... but how? And, if it's not currently possible, is this functionality planned? I've looked thru trac, but there doesn't seem to be a roadmap and I didn't see tickets similar to this ...

Snapshots:
* Fresh Ubuntu 7.04 Server
* With Apache
* Trac & Subversion
* Ruby on Rails & FastCGI
* Redmine
* Samba & OpenLDAP
* Working Mixed Environment DC
* Nagios
* Nagios configured for Production Network
* MySQL

ie ... some kindof a tree structure, as the GUI implies. My user story would be something like the following: [Note, this is a semi-realistic user story, but there are many other reasons why someone might want a tree of snapshots.]
* Install Ubuntu 7.04 Server & take snapshot
* Install Apache, take snapshot
* Install Trac & Subversion, take snapshot, revert to Apache
* Install Ruby on Rails & FastCGI, take snapshot
* Install Redmine, take snapshot, revert to Fresh
* Install Samba & OpenLDAP, take snapshot, revert to Fresh ...
* etc, etc ...

However, I can't seem to find a way to revert to snapshots, at all. The best I've been able to do is *delete* a new snapshot, and have it revert back to the previous state.

I hope something like this is possible. IMHO, the GUI implies this. I've been thinking about using VirtualBox instead of VMware for an upcoming project (because I thought it supported multiple snapshots and VMware Server doesn't - ... also because VB has the FOSS version and because I like the VBoxManage CLI).

So far, I've been liking VirtualBox (as a long-time VMware user). The only things that have confused me have been this (snapshots) and the very first thing I did was try connecting to my VirtualBox server from the VirtualBox GUI on my workstation ... but that's for another post :)

TIA!
remi

Post by remi »

Also - if switching between snapshots isn't supported by VirtualBox, has anyone duplicated this with copy/pasting files ... some other way?
Ingo
Volunteer

Re: Help with snapshots - can you revert? add to the tree?

Post by Ingo »

remi wrote:However, I can't seem to find a way to revert to snapshots, at all. The best I've been able to do is *delete* a new snapshot, and have it revert back to the previous state.
That's the only way I also found to "manage" snapshots. By the way, be careful with your snapshots, don't try too much. Here I had another discussion of this:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2003