3.0.4 linux GA video problem?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Roman1

Re: 3.0.4 linux GA video problem?

Post by Roman1 »

michael wrote:Roman1 and those experiencing the original issue reported on the thread, please take a look at http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4430#comment:24. I have posted a link to a testbuild of the Additions there which I hope will fix this issue. If you try it out, it would be great if you could provide feedback on that ticket.
the testbuild does solve the garbled video in my setup (Vista64bit host, Fedora 10 64bit guest). I still get an error at the end of the glxinfo output:

Code: Select all

> glxinfo
name of display: :0.0                                                           
display: :0  screen: 0                                                          
direct rendering: Yes                                                           
server glx vendor string: Chromium                                              
server glx version string: 1.2 Chromium                                         
server glx extensions:                                                          
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig         
client glx vendor string: Chromium                                              
client glx version string: 1.2 Chromium                                         
client glx extensions:                                                          
GLX version: 1.3                                                                
GLX extensions:                                                                 
OpenGL vendor string: Humper                                                    
OpenGL renderer string: Chromium                                                
OpenGL version string: 2.0 Chromium 1.9                                         
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler             
OpenGL extensions:                                                              
    GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_fragment_shader
Illegal instruction
adamschock
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Fedora 11

Post by adamschock »

The 3.0.5 guest additions seem to fix the same problem.
Host: Windows Vista 64 bit
Guest: Fedora 11 64 bit with 128 mb video memory and 3d enabled.
However the desktop application under system settings now crashes system settings. I was using that to see if desktop effects could also be enabled, just for curiosity and completeness.
I can live very well with these results.
Thank you Michael.
whistman
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Fedora

Post by whistman »

Is the 3.0.5 guest addition ISO still available? I have this same issue, running Fedora 11 as a guest OS on 3.0.4. Was fine before, on 3.0.2. (Thanks to somebody for the host-F7 host-F1 trick as a temporary workaround!)
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Try the link and see. It will get automatically expired at some point, but I don't know exactly when.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

michael wrote:Try the link and see. It will get automatically expired at some point, but I don't know exactly when.
File no longer exists. The week time has already passed.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Refreshed the link.
mcp
Volunteer
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by mcp »

I took the opportunity to download and install 3.05 GA. I have been having issues with the display, but mine relate to the display driver to support AutoCad's crosshair cursor. The 3.05 GA doesn't seem to add anything to my install. I'm running Klikit (unbuntu hardy heron) with VB 3.04. I've posted a bug report but have not seen any developments. Can anyone tell me if anything is being done? Or is this not a priority?

Sorry for butting in.
MCP
whistman

Post by whistman »

michael wrote:Refreshed the link.
Thanks, Michael. I downloaded the 3.0.5 ISO, mounted it, installed the new additions, ran '/etc/init.d/vboxadd setup' to recompile the guest kernel modules, and rebooted twice. I still have the same issues when 're-size guest display' is enabled and I resize the display.

See the attached screenshots, from "normal" thru two different minor resizes. The "normal" one shows the contents of my xorg.conf file.
Attachments
ScreenShot004.jpg
ScreenShot004.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
ScreenShot003b.jpg
ScreenShot003b.jpg (122.62 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I was not able to reproduce your problem (Ubuntu 9.04 host, Fedora 11 guest, VirtualBox 3.0.5 with latest development Additions). Could you please provide me with a precise recipe (including what host system you are using) and attach a log file? Thanks.
whistman

Post by whistman »

Which log file(s) do you want, Michael?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I would guess the VM log of the problematic run, and it's Xorg.0.log. It might be helpful to add the installed packages too, and your xorg.conf file.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
whistman

Post by whistman »

Attached are the logs of Vbox and installed packages on the Fedora 11 guest. Host system is a Windows XP Pro SP2 Lenovo T400 laptop, system configuration document (pdf) is in the zip. My T400's native video mode is 1280x800, 32-bit depth, 60hz.
Attachments
Fedora11.zip
(40.2 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Sorry, just to be sure here - the screen display does stay messed up when you have finished resizing, doesn't it?
whistman

Post by whistman »

Correct. The display remains garbled when resized to anything other than its original state. If I fiddle with the resize and happen to get it back to the original sizing, it looks fine again.
sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

those screenshots do not look like the same problem i was having with 3.0.4 ga's on my fedora10 host/f11 guest, they look more like when windows goes screwy.

i've seen that in other applications, are you sure you have up-to-date and working accelerated host drivers (nvidia/ati/intel etc.) perhaps its an opengl/directx problem not vb?