Virtualization inside a virtualizer, discussions

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Matei
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: Virtualization inside a virtualizer, discussions

Post by Matei »

This is an old thread, but I wanted to point out for reference what seems to me a legitimate use case of virtualization inside virtualization not mentioned in here, which is: running Docker inside a Windows VM (which, I understand, uses VBox under the hood). The motivation would be using a purely Linux host to test the deployment of Linux-based software to Windows indirectly via Docker. Is this currently possible?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

To the extent that one stays within the available capabilities. VT-x/AMD-V does not get through the first guest to be used in the second guest. So any 2nd-layer guest that requires VT-x/AMD-V will not run. Single processors only, no 64-bit, no 32-bit-requiring-VT-x. Older 32-bit may run but may (will?) be slow. Suitability for testing may be slim.
AnrDaemon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows

Post by AnrDaemon »

Matei wrote:This is an old thread, but I wanted to point out for reference what seems to me a legitimate use case of virtualization inside virtualization not mentioned in here, which is: running Docker inside a Windows VM (which, I understand, uses VBox under the hood). The motivation would be using a purely Linux host to test the deployment of Linux-based software to Windows indirectly via Docker. Is this currently possible?
Docker is NOT A VIRTUALIZATION. It is an ISOLATION. See the note above about LXC.
IAX

Post by IAX »

I can't believe this hasn't been issued. A use case is to have a Guest Linux VM and you want to test with vagrant some configurations with multiple machines, and test ansible playbooks.

This feature works perfect in VMWare:
VMWare
VMWare
VMWare VM.jpg (103.06 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
Not In VirtualBox:
VirtualBox
VirtualBox
VirtualBox VM.jpg (117.2 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

So what's new? We already know that this feature doesn't exist in Vbox.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Martin wrote:So what's new? We already know that this feature doesn't exist in Vbox.
well it kind of did in 4.x (i ran esxi under vbox until 5.0) and as it seems like the only logical feature left to implement, it would seem like a nice thing for vbox 5.2, actual functionality rather than copy'n'paste or broken audio like 5.1 has focused on
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Features are added when a commercial customer pays for them, or when volunteers donate the code... ;)