Share disables network access

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
jayes

Share disables network access

Post by jayes »

Hi,

I have used VMware for a long time and just gave VirtualBox 1.5 a try. Running on a Debian 4 host my Windows XP guest has never worked better. Smooth and fast access to my host share - wonderful. Same thing for a Debian 4 guest... except that the share somehow disables network access. Here's what I do:
1. Create the share through the menu
(no problems)
2. Create mointpoint and mount the share:
mount -t vboxsf -o uid=jayes,gid=jayes the_share /mnt/the_share
(no problems: share ok, netwotk ok)
3. Reboot
And then it's all wrong.

The share is not remounted (It should be, from what I understand) and my network access is gone. When I try to mount the share (as above) I get:
vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: Protocol error
Removing the share has no effect. I run Debian 4 with a 2.6.22 kernel. Guest additions installed without any errors.

Your thoughts and help are much appreciated.

--
jayes
jayes

erratum

Post by jayes »

Sorry, I CAN remount the share without any errors. I just should not try that AFTER removing the share.

So the bottom-line is: Share works fine (although it is not remounted after a reboot) and network access is (permanently) gone.
demonbane

Post by demonbane »

I could be wrong here, but I don't believe that the vboxsf driver can handle automatically remounting shares for you. I think you'd need to add the share into your /etc/fstab in order for it to be automatically mounted at boot time.