Mint Linux: LiveCD Problem

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ray2047

Mint Linux: LiveCD Problem

Post by ray2047 »

~VirtualBox 1.4 - Host: PCLinux OS~

I am trying to install Mint Linux. It has to be installed from the Live CD. When I run the Live Cd even in safe graphics mode I get a black screen and then nothing. I upped the Ram to 500 thinking it might be a RAM problem.

As a test I also tried running the Freespire LiveCD. It tried to run but then froze two thirds of the way through install.

I have successfully installed Win 2K to Virtual Box but a total newbie at installing a Linux Guest. Any help appreciated.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

ray2047

Post by ray2047 »

Thanks for trying to help but your posted link isn't relevant to my problem. Perhaps my post wasn't clear. The live CD doesn't load. Doesn't even try to load. After the boot menu comes up and I choose I get a black screen and nothing happens.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

OK.
With VirtualBox you created a Virtual Machine. Now you inserted your Win 2k Installation CD into the host CD-ROM drive and started the VM. Within the VM the installation CD boots up and you are able to install Win 2k into the VM. Right?

Now you created a second Virtual Machine, inserted the live CD from Mint Linux into your CD-ROM drive and started the second VM. Now your live CD should boot up within the second VM.
- does it?
- do you have to press any key to boot ... or something else?
- what boot menu comes up? Is it from the live CD?
- is the live CD a multisession CD?
- is there a textmode installation procedure on your live CD?

If you shut down all virtual machines and close VirtualBox, can you mount and access the live CD?

Very common and running Linux installations in this forum are ubuntu, debian, fedora or suse. Maybe you start with one of them.
ray2047

Post by ray2047 »

Yes, I set up a new virtual machine. Yes, the DVD drive is mounted. The DVD is is recognized as bootable by the new VM. I do get as far as the boot menu for the LiveCD (actually DVD in this case). When I choose to run the LiveCD it accepts the command but then a black screen appears.

My first thought was a video driver problem so I tried choosing safe graphics mode from the Mint Linux boot screen. No help, so I then increased the RAM in the VM to 500. Still nothing.

Note the Mint DVD will run on the computer outside of the VM so I don't believe it is a hardware problem. The computer has 1 gig of memory, a Nvidia video card, and an AMD Athlon 3200 CPU.

I have deleted and rebuilt the VM a couple of times just to eliminate the possibility of a problem.

As I stated as a test I tried a Freespire LiveCD also. I got further in the install of the live CD but it froze about half way through. By that I mean after choosing from the boot menu I got the expected splash screen then progress indicator indicating loading that eventually just stalled out.

Edit: Tried a live CD (actually DVD) of PCLinux and the LiveCD ran with no problem.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

That's difficult for me because I don't know any of your distributions. I mainly use debian, Ubuntu, Knoppix live CD and some times ago suse. But it seems that your distros start up with a GUI. Maybe the Video Memory Size is to small (default 8 MB). Give it a try to increase it (VirtualBox Settings... General).
ray2047

Post by ray2047 »

Thanks for trying. As I said I too suspected a memory problem that is why increased memory in the VM to 500 MB. Guess I'll just put it on the back burner for now and try it later.

Note the kernel does load and I have the little white dash mark in the upper left of the black screen. Does the more I think about it seem to be a video problem. Will try posting over in the Mint forums as it seems to be a distro problem not really a VirtualBox problem.