2 computer with 1 vm

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Eleanor

2 computer with 1 vm

Post by Eleanor »

Can i use 2 computers and 1 vm?

if 1 computer has a hardware failer that the other computer take it over.

is that posseble
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

You can store the VM-Image on a Network Drive on another Machine or an extranel GD.

But you have to start VB and the Guest on the other Host mnually, there will be no automatic way.
Eleanor

Post by Eleanor »

but can i run them on the same time?

like a backup server
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

No.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hi Eleanor,
how Stefan suggested it is thinkable to store a virtual disk image on a network share accessable to both computers. On both machines you can run the identical virtual machine. Both VMs access the same VDI on the network. If you run now the virtual machines at the same time you will get an access violation to the VDI. The VMs are reading and writing at the same time and this can cause a damage of the virtual disk image.
Independent of this you can use a cluster that will do what you want and not only limited to VirtualBox, but that is another story...
IronWolve

Post by IronWolve »

Is this like a vmware image thats non-persistent?

All updates are discarded... No real updates to the disk image.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hi IronWolve,
you are right, never thought of this. In the User Manual I found:
... immutable images are read-only and can be used from multiple virtual machines simultaneously. Write accesses to immutable hard disks will be directed to a special differencing disk image which VirtualBox creates automatically. However, when you shut down the VM to which the immutable disk is attached, the changes in the differencing disk will be completely discarded.