When is VBOX 1.5.2 Going To Be Relased?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
reiner1992

When is VBOX 1.5.2 Going To Be Relased?

Post by reiner1992 »

Does anyone know when VBOX 1.5.2 Going to be released and please tell me how to upgrade when it finally is released.

Thanks in advance
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

Aren't VB updates simply made by downloading the new file and installing it?
Would be nice if the program itself would notify you of updates and only download small patches instead of the whole program, though.
philo

Post by philo »

It would be nice to get the 1.5.2 before the next Fedora release candidate ( 04 october 2007)
vatbier

Post by vatbier »

A few weeks ago I was told that 1.5.2 would be released in a few days. The tension that has built op from waiting is becoming annoying.
VMware for Linux works fine now with me but I'd rather use Virtualbox (I have the impression that Virtualbox is a little bit faster). I need 1.5.2 because it should have correct support for Belgian keyboards.
So, developers of Virtualbox, when are you going to release version 1.5.2?
Please tell us, in a few weeks? months?
Is there a special reason for the delay?

Regards,

vatbier
B-Art

Post by B-Art »

2 Weeks ago I installed the upgrade to Virtualbox 1.5.0 :D
This upgrade seemed to be a failure because the keyboard in my guest machines is not working properly any more. :( I'm running a Mandriva (spring) host OS, I'm not using a 3D desktop so that is not the problem an all keys where fine in virtualbox 1.4
As I'm using a belgium keyboard, it's realy hard to work in the guest partitions (Windows XP) because some keys are at a wrong position or not working at all. Especialy the numbers 5,6 and 8 and the - and + characters are a problem.
I can not work with vmware workstation as my guest partitions are stored on an ext3 file system and vmware 6.0.0 is telling me that this file system can not store files that are bigger than 4 GB. (Which is not true with a 2.6 kernel)
Any idea when version 1.5.2 will be released :?:
I prefer to upgrade and not going back to version 1.4
drei22

Post by drei22 »

vatbier wrote:A few weeks ago I was told that 1.5.2 would be released in a few days. The tension that has built op from waiting is becoming annoying.
VMware for Linux works fine now with me but I'd rather use Virtualbox (I have the impression that Virtualbox is a little bit faster). I need 1.5.2 because it should have correct support for Belgian keyboards.
So, developers of Virtualbox, when are you going to release version 1.5.2?
Please tell us, in a few weeks? months?
Is there a special reason for the delay?

Regards,

vatbier

So how much did you pay the VirtualBox developers for support? By the tone of you message you seem to be paying a ton of cash for support or you are a whiner. And I can almost guarantee the latter.
merwin

Post by merwin »

The software is partially closed source, and if the user runs Windows, he/she probably doesn't have the resources to build the software as Visual Studio is an expensive product.

On top of that, there's some pretty big bugs in this release that have already been fixed in SVN.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question when the release is coming, especially when the devs said it would be released soon.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
dirken

Post by dirken »

I'm one of those who's virtual keyboard is also broken and i really need this virtual machine at school so it's normal i guess that i'm asking when it's finally here. It's already a month that i'm hearing rumours about the next version that will soon come. Well, you can assume that soon is more than a day or two, but is it almost more than a month?

And yeah i know, in the svn version it's fixed. How i know? I simpley tried it myself. Why i don't use it anymore? Well in vbox 5.0.0 i'm able to use my USB devices and i still don't know why but it ain't possible in the svn version i compiled.

if anyone can tell me if she/he has the possibility to use usb devices in the latest svn (it is simply gone in the settings menu of my virtual machine) or what i can do to have the usb-option please let me know!
Oh btw: what is the download link for the latest svn? Is the folliwing ok?
download-link i used to compile from svn: http://virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk
Used to follow the tut on this page: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox_ubuntu (scroll half down the page)
BDKMPSS

Post by BDKMPSS »

i can tell you why there is no USB support in the SVN-trunk, or at least point you to the place which explains it all:

http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

and I would also like to know when it is going to be released, as these unstable shared folders make me sick...
<German>
"Sozialismus ist der Versuch die Gesellschaft mit verordneter und erzwungener Freiheit zu unterdrücken."
(2007-07-24)
</German>
drei22

Post by drei22 »

dirken wrote:I'm one of those who's virtual keyboard is also broken and i really need this virtual machine at school so it's normal i guess that i'm asking when it's finally here. It's already a month that i'm hearing rumours about the next version that will soon come. Well, you can assume that soon is more than a day or two, but is it almost more than a month?

And yeah i know, in the svn version it's fixed. How i know? I simpley tried it myself. Why i don't use it anymore? Well in vbox 5.0.0 i'm able to use my USB devices and i still don't know why but it ain't possible in the svn version i compiled.

if anyone can tell me if she/he has the possibility to use usb devices in the latest svn (it is simply gone in the settings menu of my virtual machine) or what i can do to have the usb-option please let me know!
Oh btw: what is the download link for the latest svn? Is the folliwing ok?
download-link i used to compile from svn: http://virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk
Used to follow the tut on this page: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox_ubuntu (scroll half down the page)
Why would you use this for something as important as a school project? This is use at your own risk ware. Not VMware or Parallels we give you support because you paid for it ware.
merwin

Post by merwin »

drei22 wrote:Why would you use this for something as important as a school project? This is use at your own risk ware. Not VMware or Parallels we give you support because you paid for it ware.
No offense, but that's like asking why you would ever run Linux for anything important, as it's free software.

Virtualbox is a quality piece of software that, for the most part, rivals VMware or Parallels. It also has the backing of a corporation. Just because it's community driven as well doesn't mean that you shouldn't use it for anything important.
dirken

Post by dirken »

merwin wrote:
drei22 wrote:Why would you use this for something as important as a school project? This is use at your own risk ware. Not VMware or Parallels we give you support because you paid for it ware.
No offense, but that's like asking why you would ever run Linux for anything important, as it's free software.
Indeed why should i use virtualbox for a school project?
-It's free
-It runs my xp much smoother than Vmware AND Parallels
-It has everything a VM must have

I'm sorry but i'm not chaning virtual machine because you guys think your paid VM is much better than a free one!
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Calm down guys.

The 1.5.2 release is delayed for several reasons. First of all doing a release takes time as testing is required. We can't release a new version every other week.

Second we have fixed a great many things that are important to both end-users and commercial customers. New issues pop up every now and then.

The new release is not far off, but it won't happen this week. A couple of relatively minor things are still pending.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Dirken wrote:

Well, it may be that my requirements are much higher than yours, but certainly VirtualBox does *NOT* fulfill all of them, but only most of them.

There are wonderful technologies available at neighbors (other virtualizers), and I'm dreaming of the ultimate solution.
dirken

Post by dirken »

Technologov wrote:Dirken wrote:

Well, it may be that my requirements are much higher than yours, but certainly VirtualBox does *NOT* fulfill all of them, but only most of them.

There are wonderful technologies available at neighbors (other virtualizers), and I'm dreaming of the ultimate solution.
allright maybe it's not the best VM around but that's not what this topic is about.
I'm gled sandervi also reacted to this topic 'cause he seems to be a developper. It also pleases me that apparentely a new vbox version will be released next week, maybe one week later if i get this right.