3D Acceleration Support : WineD3D Analysis

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
arkain

Re: 3D Acceleration Support : WineD3D Analysis

Post by arkain »

Just out of curiosity, I went reading through the documentation on D3D DDI drivers on the MSDN website. It looks to me like the API does a little filtering then passes render state and polygon information to the driver. If this assessment is even remotely accurate, then what's the hang-up with implementing a User Mode D3D DDI section in the existing video driver? If a User-Mode driver is created to handle the D3D portions, it could call OpenGL to do the heavy lifting after a bit of translation. The benefits, if this is possible, would be as follows:
  • 1. some of the translation would have already been done by the native D3D APi,
    2. you wouldn't lose the ability to leverage your already (mostly) functional OpenGL support,
    3. OS calls go through the User-Mode stack first anyway so there's almost no timing penalty to consider,
    4. DDI support means driver-level support for NATIVE D3D, meaning no more waiting for Wine to support feature X accurately,
    5. DDI's are forward compatible, meaning you'd already have support for Vista & Windows 7 ready to go.
    6. Possible support for DirectX < 8...maybe
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Yes, I agree, that it may be interesting. But the effort for developing D3D driver from scratch is a big one, and I'm not sure whenever Sun/Oracle is ready for that. Maybe community can do it.

-Technologov
arkain

Post by arkain »

I was hoping for a response like that. Now, in the interim, what will it take to fix the "d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat" problem in the current implementation? It's not exactly a Wine issue. The OpenGL driver isn't offering much in the way of video modes. There's a fairly decent chance that this error is being caused by the fact that the 1 or 2 video modes being offered through the Chromium interface just aren't sufficient for whatever the d3d programs are trying to do when they get this error. Isn't there some way to modify the Chromium interface so that it can offer the intersection between the modes available on the host and the video modes that the guest can use?
michaeljohn
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Vista

Post by michaeljohn »

Hello Guys,
3D Acceleration Support : WineD3D Analysis is simpally great ..
Thanks for sharing great info..
rogercruz
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win7

Post by rogercruz »

Does anyone know if an implementation similar to what Arkain is suggesting has ever been implemented (open-source or not). While thinking about this problem, I came to the same conclusion and now I'm curious if someone has actually gone through this type of implementation.

Thanks
Roger R. Cruz
drinkypoo
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by drinkypoo »

Virtualbox 3.2.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 has no d3d in dxdiag before or after installing wined3d. Well, maybe it does after; it crashes when I run it after installing, with no error. And I cannot install Windows XP on this system (Gigabyte says "it works here" but it doesn't work HERE. And they wanted me to pay for support for further resolution. Never buying from Gigabyte again.) So there will likely be no further troubleshooting from me unless there's something I can do without booting Windows on the hardware.