Effectively using Virtualbox with Dual-Monitor-Host

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
TheTiger
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, openSUSE

Re: Effectively using Virtualbox with Dual-Monitor-Host

Post by TheTiger »

VBox OSE version without RDP capabilities can be also effectively used on more than one monitor. I'm using openSUSE/KDE as host OS. KDE panel is set to allow to be overlapped by other windows. I'm running VBoxSDL and setting it's window to have no decorations. This enable me to resize VBox window to cover whole desktop over my two monitors. (Under Windows as host OS you can set at least taskbar to auto-hide, there is no option to disable window decorations, but VBoxDSL has no menu and statusbar so window decorations would not take much space.) Advantage is that I can use it with any guest OS not only Windows XP, which is now the only one supported by VBox headless&guest OS multi monitor&RDP scenario. Only one drawback I noticed is, as that guest OS doesn't know that it is actually more than one monitor, that maximizing windows maximize them not only over one but over both monitors and aligning windows to screen edges doesn't work on inner sides between monitors. As aligning is not case of Windows XP, only need of manual resize instead of maximizing is real drawback. But for me as I run Linux as guest OS also, this scenario is more suitable than VBox headless&guest OS multi monitor&RDP. Anyway I hope that seamless windows will soon be supported not only on primary screen under multi monitor setup, as I think this would be the best solution for almost everybody using multi monitor setup.