VirtualBox 1.5.0 Fast Ethernet 100Mbit/s available?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nngodinh

VirtualBox 1.5.0 Fast Ethernet 100Mbit/s available?

Post by nngodinh »

I'm running VirtualBox in an Ubuntu Linux host with a Windows XP SP2 guest and I've seen that guest network connection is limited to 10Mbit/s even if NIC is set up to a Am79C973 emulation, which seems - from hardware specifications - to support 100Mbit/s (while Am79C970A does not): I know this to be meaningless in a virtual implementation, of course, but at least on the guest side device drivers have support for it.

Even if I force link speed to 100Mbit/s Half or Full Duplex using Windows XP driver properties, link is always established at the same speed (sometimes the guest OS even freezes during this kind of switching).

Nothing changes if I set up VM with nat, hostif or intnet, so I assume that fast ethernet support is not available at all.

I've not seen any reference in the user documentation about ethernet speed in VirtualBox: is there a way to enable fast ethernet? If not, is there any plan to support it? Does anyone has experience of something different with a different host/guest?
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Just ignore it. The actual throughput is higher than a 10mbit card could sustain.
nngodinh

Post by nngodinh »

I've performed a benchmark and I've seen that I can reach around 40-50 Mbit/s and Windows XP performs similarly when run natively.

Thanks!