Lost Settings and Delete on main GUI window

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Gibson

Lost Settings and Delete on main GUI window

Post by Gibson »

Yep, I'm a noob. But learning fast. I have v. 1.5.0 up and appeared to run properly for a time, though I'm still working on configuring things. In fact, the meat of the program still seems to be functioning properly on my Ubuntu host, and will open Windows 2000 or Linux guests, but the "Settings" and "Delete" toolbars in the main GUI window have become grayed out and ineffective. I even tried re-installing VB, but no change. Any idea what is going on, and how I can get my Settings GUI functions back?
reptile

Post by reptile »

did you shut the down the operating system using save snapshot?

if so then you can't change the settings.

reboot the machine, turn if off normally and try again.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Well, I believe I partially figured it out, but now have run into another, stranger problem.

It had occurred to me that I had set up the two VM's prior to figuring out how to properly add my user name to the vboxusers file (I will be making a suggestion on that forum). I did eventually figure out how to do so, which was about the time I noted the problem with being unable to access Settings. So...I thought perhaps there was some sort of issue with the order of configuration steps completed, such that VBox was now not recognizing me as the user who set up the VMs and so would not be granted access to alter them (even though it was giving me access to run them without questioning my bona fides). On a whim I decided to try installing a new VM now that I was a respected user, and sure enough, it popped up with full permissions. So apparently there is some sort of minor bug there.

But....when I tried to do the trick (mentioned in Help) to slow things down enough to install Win2K in the new VM, it tells me it can't find the VM. No, it won't even find the old VM which it worked on in the first place. Any ideas what is going on? Right now, I have the choice between a VM I can't configure any more (no USB, etc.) and one with no OS. Cool.

Terminal said:
greg@dell:~$ sudo VBoxManage setextradata Win2000Pro-VM "VBoxInternal/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/IRQDelay" 2
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 1.5.0
(C) 2005-2007 innotek GmbH
All rights reserved.

[!] FAILED calling virtualBox->FindMachine(Bstr(argv[0]), machine.asOutParam()) at line 5460!
[!] Primary RC = 0x80070057
[!] Full error info present: true , basic error info present: true
[!] Result Code = 0x80070057
[!] Text = Could not find a registered machine named 'Win2000Pro-VM'
[!] Component = VirtualBox, Interface: IVirtualBox, {76b25f3c-15d4-4785-a9d3-adc6a462beec}
[!] Callee = IVirtualBox, {76b25f3c-15d4-4785-a9d3-adc6a462beec}
greg@dell:~$