suitable CPU and Host OS questions

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
momotaro

suitable CPU and Host OS questions

Post by momotaro »

I plan using an old pc that has a Northwood/NetBurst Celeron.
Other VMs say this CPU can't be used. Might this CPU be OK for Virtual Box?

For the Host I have options of DSL, Ubuntu Feisty, or Win2K.
Would one be better than an other in this list? I later want practice running
LAMP servers CentOS, Ubuntu, and also need Win2K for web design.

Advice on above will help me plan well to avoid later possible problems.
Thanks in advance.
Ingo
Volunteer

Re: suitable CPU and Host OS questions

Post by Ingo »

momotaro wrote:1.
I plan using an old pc that has a Northwood/NetBurst Celeron.
Other VMs say this CPU can't be used. Might this CPU be OK for Virtual Box?
Should work. I don't know any restrictions of VirtualBox to the hardware like e.g. xen. It's worth a try.
momotaro wrote:2.
For the Host I have options of DSL, Ubuntu Feisty, or Win2K.
I prefer Linux:
1. I think VirtualBox is mainly based on *x systems and provides little more features on *x hosts. New features are first presented on *x (or not?).
2. You do not have always to register anything to Microsoft and give them your private data.
3. With VirtualBox it is easy to install, reinstall and modify Operating Systems for a try. This is a very big problem with modern Microsoft OS. You always have to register for a new installation. And you are not always allowed to install a MS OS into a virtual machine even it would work. But I think this is more important for guests.
4. Linux is free of charge.
LFS-Nr-3305
Volunteer

Post by LFS-Nr-3305 »

I am running virtualbox 1.4 happily on a Celeron 1200 from 2001, if this helps you. Don't know what a Northwood/Netburst is (no... don't bother to explain, please ;-) ).
momotaro

Post by momotaro »

Thanks to both of you Ingo and LFS, your info helped.

I have a genuine win2k and need to use MS.IE to confirm my web designs so I need a this one way or another and wondered what is best order of things.
I also have a Celeron1.1 so might try this too if I can find extra memory modules.
I need to correct myself too, DSL uses the old kernel thus won't work as Host,
Ubuntu might be the one to go with!
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Congratulations!
LFS-Nr-3305
Volunteer

Post by LFS-Nr-3305 »

I am using 512MB RAM at the moment, giving approx. 256 MB + 32MB Graphics to VB. Under Kubuntu, I have replaced Firefox by Konqueror (and found the latter one better than Firefox :-) ), Thunderbird by KMail to save on CPU load and memory (I understand they have common source parts together with KDE which is running all the time) and I would not, for example, run IE under Crossover/Wine together with VB. On watching these precautions, I had not longer to wait for swapping under Linux.
Speed of Win2K in VB 1.4 was good all the time and Memory allocation seems not to be critical inside VB.